Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jb with lower output

Hi!
    I very like sound JB pickup. I tested different pickups, but JB still sound the best for me.
    But JB is too much compressed for me, he hasn't much dynamics.
    A2 sound more dynamic - but is muddy.
    Do you try half air mod with JB? What effect?

Re: Jb with lower output

You might try the 59/Custom Hybrid, which has a nice kick to it, but still makes it possible to use dynamics.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the eq curve of the pearly gates is pretty similar to the jb but lower output and more vintagey

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        You might try the 59/Custom Hybrid, which has a nice kick to it, but still makes it possible to use dynamics.
        Agree!! Many will say the Perpetual Burn but I disagree. Have a couple of Hybrids in play and one Perpet along with a couple of JB's. The Hybrid is more harmonically alive than the JB has less output so cleans and opens up better but also hit's like a sledgehammer when you want it to.
        The Perpet is a cool pickup but is MUCH more shall we say "polite" than both. The Perpet is a very big sounding articulate smooth and clear pickup and is very cool, however has a much more polite and reserved overall vibe than both the JB and the Hybrid.
        A2 with the JB will drop the output and also take out a little of the mid honk it has but also makes the JB softer in feel and looser in the bottom. Have had several mags in JB's.
        Last edited by Ascension; 04-16-2020, 06:25 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If I wanted an under wound JB I’d call the Custom Shop. Right now that means a long wait but that’s one way to get exactly what you’re after.

Comment

I just made a JB hybrid with a Seth. Sounds like a JB but open and vintagey. It's great.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post
              Do you try half air mod with JB? What effect?
              This is not a common mod here (it was made popular by DiMarzio players...people here tend to lean toward mag-swaps and hybrids, as you can tell), but half-airing the JB could work! It would open up the sound a bit and reduce the output slightly, just as you want. Another option would be to swap the magnet for an unoriented A5 (aka: UOA5).

Comment

Put any vintage voiced HB in parallel with a 780pF capacitor. Associate it with a 300k tone pot. Should give the same kind of mid hump than a JB but with a lower output.
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I was thinking
                  add a resistor to ground to send some of the signal
                  away for the output jack

then I realized
                  you can just lower your volume knob a bit

maybe?
                  too easy?
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

A3 in the JB?

Comment

Reducing the magnet strength will make the tone darker and the dynamics mushy. The DiMarzio air gap is their way to weaken the magnet without going to a weaker magnet.

Putting a ceramic magnet in will give a less compressed tone. Or maybe an alnico 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A8 for less compressed tone than A5? Yeah, no...a tighter bottom end, more midrange focus and more output, sure, but definitely not less compression/more dynamics.

Sheer magnet strength isn't the only thing to be considered here.

I would try the half-air mod first, honestly. It should lower the output and add in some dynamics without changing the core tone of the JB too drastically. I'm also thinking a half-aired JB with a UOA5 could be a dream for some.

Comment

Hybrid it with a vintage output coil.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

You with your hybrids and double-thick mags...

He can likely get what he wants with a screwdriver, 10 minutes, and no other parts required. Seems the best place to start, especially since he likes the JB in stock form, just needs a tweak.

By the way, CARLOSG, did you try adjusting the height of the pickup and/or pole pieces? Backing the JB away from the strings a bit could also help.

Comment

He said he doesn't like it in its stock form. Tinkering with mags won't open up the wind and give it more vintage response.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X