• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I offer this tip..... DO NOT COMPRESS TO MP3 . . .
      Just an FYI. Since the invention of digital audio, the word "compression" has two distinct, and unrelated, definitions. One is "dynamic" compression. That's what radio stations do to music and your pedal does to your guitar or bass. Then there's "file" compression. That's what a "Zip file" does to text, or an MP3 encoder does to an audio file. A modern, well written MP3 encoder, (like the latest LAME encoder), does not introduce any dynamic compression into an audio file. If I made a hi-res MP3 file, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the original wav file in a blind A/B test. Or a sighted one for that matter.

On the other hand, YouTube is bad.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2020, 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You know, I really don’t have any problem picking out differences regarding sound on YouTube. I really think the compression thing is overblown. Also, most of you have already made up your mind before Ace bothered recording anything.
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Just an FYI. Since the invention of digital audio, the word "compression" has two distinct, and unrelated, definitions. One is "dynamic" compression. That's what radio stations do to music and your pedal does to your guitar or bass. Then there's "file" compression. That's what a "Zip file" does to text, or an MP3 encoder does to an audio file. A modern, well written MP3 encoder, (like the latest LAME encoder), does not introduce any dynamic compression into an audio file. If I made a hi-res MP3 file, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the original wav file in a blind A/B test. Or a sighted one for that matter.

On the other hand, YouTube is bad.
          In data compression of audio files, detail in the high frequencies can get lost, depending on the target bit rate. The quality loss is audible when compared to the original audio file. A “lossless” format like FLAC might be able to reconstitute into the original wav file. But even the highest bit rate MP3 does not, IME.

Comment

At some point, this project is just something you do or don't do, regardless of how "perfect" everyone wants to make it.

The fact is that most listeners CAN pick out subtle differences in Zenmindbeginner's JB comparison YouTube video with half-decent headphones or computer speakers. Those of us with good hearing and even better audio equipment can pick up a LOT of differences. And that's through YouTube of all things.

I would say the rest of the important input (output?) comes down to the perceptions of the people playing the pickups in the room and in their hands, which sort of addresses what Clint 55 is worried about. This is why I thought it would be cool if, say, Mincer and Aceman were both to experience the different pickups first-hand, so they could give their thoughts and impressions. Even if they weren't entirely in agreement, it wouldn't matter, the "real world" info would still be useful and you're not relying on a single person's perceptions that way.

Also, Mincer, no one's looking for just '80s hair metal samples here. Some funk, some classical, some cool clean swells with light reverb...whatever goes. The more styles that get highlighted in the comparison, even if some of those "styles" are completely your own, the more listeners can get a real feel for the character of each pickup.

Comment

Ummm - Dave and I will both be there, and play the guitar. I could keep Dave from knowing too.

Sure - we'll put room 'sound' and feel opinions in. All published AFTER the votes are in!!!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                Seriously, the lengths guitarists will go to in order to avoid blind testing, where they'd have to admit that they're at wine-tasting levels of "full of ****"...
                This right here...

We could argue "Well, a The JB won't be distinguishable from the JBJ if you are using a closed back 1x12 closed back EL34 with vintage Celestians vs EL84's and Texas heat in a 2x12 open back!!!" You guys are gonna start telling me about the relative humidity in Florida pretty soon....

An iPhone Direct to Facebook, or A close Senheiser center cone with a 40% mix of a 57 off-axis 1.5 ft away through a studio reference monitor into Protools....blah blah blah.

The only thing that will change will be the pickup.

You will name a believed favorite
                You will pick a favorite sound
                That sound is or is not your favorite
                You can tell the differences between all the pickups reliably or not
                Last edited by Aceman; 06-11-2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Honestly, it doesn't matter if I know or not. It won't influence anything, because I probably won't like any of them!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Perfect!

Seriously Dave - we're gonna do this. Gotta get a couple of things outta the way first.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      This right here...

We could argue "Well, a The JB won't be distinguishable from the JBJ if you are using a closed back 1x12 closed back EL34 with vintage Celestians vs EL84's and Texas heat in a 2x12 open back!!!" You guys are gonna start telling me about the relative humidity in Florida pretty soon....

An iPhone Direct to Facebook, or A close Senheiser center cone with a 40% mix of a 57 off-axis 1.5 ft away through a studio reference monitor into Protools....blah blah blah.
                      You're over simplifying. I'm not saying that the recording needs to be absolutely professional, but if the samples are recorded on an iPhone while standing in the middle of a garage, all of the them will sound like loud electric guitar.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Zoom Q3 will do video and audio to a suitable extent.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

When I finish the Riot/Dream/Solo vid...you decide.

Bump for I AM going to do this!

Comment

Seriously? You expect me to find a JB made during the 90 days he was interesting?
                            That's giving him a lot of credit......ha ha ha that made me laugh for real.
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Cobain has been interesting for 30 years lol. He's an effing legend!
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

When I finish the Riot/Dream/Solo vid...
                                What is this Riot/Dream/Solo vid thing you're working on? I missed that somewhere along the way...

Comment

Working...
                                X