Reviews for the Distortion and Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reviews for the Distortion and Invader

if you want a DD with more growl and meat. make a custom/DD hybrid with the big mag from the distortion. This was my complaint too. I love the DD, but it was missing something. I also love the big fat sound of the custom. This hybrid was the ticket. Still sounds like a DD with killer lead tone. Its very responsive, super clear but has a huge bottom end that blooms like the custom. Its the best of both pickups. Ive tried A8 and its ok. Too much high end for me and not enough big fat bottom end. The big ceramic mag was the ticket in this one. I just did a thread reviewing it.

Comment

Yeah man, the Distortion name is a misnomer because it is a very clear pickup.

The Seymour Duncan Distortion is one of those links in your chain that will actually force you to play better and Paired with (let's say) a Mesa Mark IV, you have to be on your game or you will sound like crap because it will hide nothing.

The Invader seems to have it's own special little EQ curve right there at the pickup stage and was always missing something to me and that is no longer an issue for me since the release of the Black Winter. Now...when I want a little different flavored insanity on my potato, I turn to the Black Winter.

Props for the visual appeal of the Invader though. It is the scariest looking pickup on the planet.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

The Distortion seems like a really amazing pickup set.
        Sometimes I wonder how they would fare against my actual humbucker sets combinations: Slash Alnico II Pro's, Custom + 59n, 490r/498t.

I had my chance for a Distortion set twice*
        Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
        Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
          Props for the visual appeal of the Invader though. It is the scariest looking pickup on the planet.
          Black winters have the scariest looking box. Never tried them but from what ive heard they are the scariest sounding

Comment

How's the Invader sound in standard/Eb tuning? Don't care about leads, just riffs.

Originally posted by The Mighty Giawulf View Post
            Slayer's Axemen Kerry King and the Late-great Jeff Hanneman both use EMG equipped axes. Hell, many would argue that those two guys put EMG on the map.
            There is no argument, Metallica were using EMG's as far back as 1985 (kirk's strat with the 3 single coils, james had 81's by 1987). Slayer didn't go active until 1990. Before that, Slayer used Bill Lawrence's and Dimarzio Super Distortions, Megadrives and PAF's at the neck, depending on who's guitar it was. Frankly, I think the EMG's have kept both bands from having great tone.

Slayer tone = lots of mids. They used to put boss 10-band eq's in front of their marshalls to boost the mids.

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl View Post
              How's the Invader sound in standard/Eb tuning?
              It sounds big.

Comment

The SD Custom pickup thats is the answer to this thread

DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Working...
                X