banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash
    replied
    Re: JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

Cheers Kent, i'll give it a try and see what I can come up with

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

You want series and parallel functions, you have eight conductors ... two have to go to ground ... okay problem solved, two have to be hooked to hot, and be unhooked ... that's two poles (one for each hot, two pups), then you have four conductors that must be hooked in pairs, either in series (such as the white&red {SD colour code}, or sent to their respective hots, and grounds {parallel mode} ... that four poles right there, bringing you to six poles. My advice would be go to www.stewmac.com and look up the *free info sheets*, on the superswitch, and how humbuckers are phased, put in series and parallel. Then grab a piece of paper and pencil (eraser too), and start drawing it out for yourself, when you start running into problems you'll see them clearly for yourself. That's really the best way, plus I had sent you two different schematics with a wide range of options, maybe not exactly what you wanted, but very versatile set ups.

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied

What selection/position is the one causing the bother?

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

Originally posted by Flash
    Thanks for all the help guys. i've tried a few of the setups you have suggested but they are still not what i'm looking for :-(
    So if any of you helpfull fellows could provide a diagram for
    1 neck series
    2 neck parallel
    3 neck and bridge (full humbucking like a les paul wiring,series?)
    4 neck and bridge (parallel)
    5 bridge series
    for my bridge JB and neck 59 and superswitch I promise not to bother you again lol :-)
    Cheers guys
    You don't have enough poles available on that switch for that, at the very least you'd need 6, (bear in mind that's just eyeballing it though) ... a 6P5T non-shorting rotary would do you (again just eyeballling it). Hey Artie, seems like we've been down this road before huh?

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied

Thanks for all the help guys. i've tried a few of the setups you have suggested but they are still not what i'm looking for :-(
    So if any of you helpfull fellows could provide a diagram for
    1 neck series
    2 neck parallel
    3 neck and bridge (full humbucking like a les paul wiring,series?)
    4 neck and bridge (parallel)
    5 bridge series
    for my bridge JB and neck 59 and superswitch I promise not to bother you again lol :-)
    Cheers guys

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    replied

Flash how did it go?

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied

bump

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied

Mr Kent check your PMs :-)

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

Originally posted by Flash
    I just want any switching to be done with the 5way, without need for any push-pull pots if possible, and as I said earlier, i'm not really too bothered if I can't get single coils from each pickup :-)
    Flash, check your PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

Originally posted by Lightning
    Flash goto Stew Mac and look at the P Mega switch .......................................
    The P megaswitch is really a 2 pole switch ( not a 6 pole )with multiple shared throws that vary according to the design.
    One pole is used for the pup selection, and the other for the tap lines, it's certainly a different breed. However what you see as limiting creatively is not so, as it does allow for other options that cannot be obtained with other switch types, kinda more of a pro and con issue.
    Cool thing that I love about them is that they come apart, and allow you to etch your own pcb boards to replace them with customized settings ...
    (I didn't say that it wasn't labour intensive, but you can do it).
    Also, they are made extremely well! A further note ... the PRS style switching that Schaller uses is incorrect literally ...They have the outer coils in series, when it should be the inner coils in series, they may have done this to get around a conflict with PRS on this matter (not sure), PRS has changed it's wiring scheme a few times over the years (referring to the rotary switch), so they may be a fourth newer scheme (I'd have to check with J.C. at PRS on it). Or it could be a by-product of the middle split tones on the MaCarty models (not sure if they are inners or outers). The issue only matters if you don't like it, and/or want the other tone ... It does give a more Neck & Bridge HB type tone (slightly closer to a LP type middle position) which so many seem to like. JSYKIYDA

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    replied

There is a lot of 4 pole 5 pos wiring diagrams here.

One I liked better that the PRS and with a standard 4P (super sw)

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    replied

Flash goto Stew Mac and look at the P Mega switch:

1 Bridge pickup
    2 Inner pickup coils, parallel
    3 Outer coils, series
    4 Outer coils, parallel
    5 Neck pickup

This is the PRS rotory config on a lever switch. Designed to provide the above listed combos. Humbucking cross the board and volume balenced. PRS himself told me that this was better than the way I wired mine (he explaned that his was more volume balenced across the switch). Who's that PRS guy...Mine's very close (more balenced than PRS) to balenced and I like the non Gibson tones better than PRS but mine requires 6 poles. The super only has 4 (but they are full time poles). The P mega switch is 6 broken poles (available for switching only part time) which inhibits creative use of the switch but provides ease of installition with the above listed PRS pickup combos.

Also look at the other Mega switches. Think about your neck pickup as a strat neck an mid and your bridge as one pickup and see if one of those lights you up.

Leave a comment:

• LwhmetSH2nBossMT2!
    replied

Hey.. I'm not sure if this will help but they have a whole bunch of guitar wiring schematics and other cool stuff here:

my favorite pickup confiig for my 5-way selector H/s/h is...

I really hope this helps.. i know what it's like to search badly for something and you start to get uninspired about things, wich should never happen, keep rockin!

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied

I just want any switching to be done with the 5way, without need for any push-pull pots if possible, and as I said earlier, i'm not really too bothered if I can't get single coils from each pickup :-)

Leave a comment:

• Oldslowhand
    replied

Would it help if you used a push/pull pot for the series/parallel then just worried about the splits and Pickup combos just a thought

Leave a comment:

Working...
X