banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnet swapping. Why do they make it seem so difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swapping. Why do they make it seem so difficult?

I've seen all these tutorials on project guitar n other explanaitions. They say to loosen the plate, then tap it with a hammer n pull it out, then slide the other one in and retighten it.

Why go through all that? I tried this just to see if magnet swapping is easy.
    I switched the magnets in 2 powersounds. They wouldn't tap out. Instead, i just took off the whole bottom plate and lifted them out, then put it back on. Bam. That simple. Why do they make it so complicated? Is it bad to do that? Will that not work on all pickups?

Re: Magnet swapping. Why do they make it seem so difficult?

You've done what I usually do. Meanwhile I steal the maple spacers of 59's to put into my PG's! hehehe!

BUT John's site is great! It is a detailed description of the whole process. I agree on a wax potted pickup opening up the whole baseplate is easier and that's what I do. But on a non-wax potted pickup, John's thing (which happens to be what the SD FAQ section recommends) is faster!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I don't tap them with a hammer, I do loosen the bottom screws though. I dont take it off altogether, I just wiggle the magnet with my pliers until it loosens up enough to take out.

Never force it.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by Cory_Dylan
        I've seen all these tutorials on project guitar n other explanaitions. They say to loosen the plate, then tap it with a hammer n pull it out, then slide the other one in and retighten it.

Why go through all that? I tried this just to see if magnet swapping is easy.
        I switched the magnets in 2 powersounds. They wouldn't tap out. Instead, i just took off the whole bottom plate and lifted them out, then put it back on. Bam. That simple. Why do they make it so complicated? Is it bad to do that? Will that not work on all pickups?
        I don't know... it's not complicated at all, but remember there are those that prefer not to take off the bottom plate ... either way it's the same to me, plus the slide out method can be a bit simpler at times, like with the pup still attached and hanging out of the guitar. Plus repotting, or partial repotting isn't a bad idea.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
        X