Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about STL-3T - tapped Tele Quarter Pound Bridge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about STL-3T - tapped Tele Quarter Pound Bridge

    1)Why is the DCR on the Tele version so much higher than the Strat Version? Different wire gauge?

    2)Full is about 17k? At what DCR is the Tap?

  • #2
    The tap can be placed anywhere you order it...usually toward the middle of the wind at about 60%.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

      Full is about 17k? At what DCR is the Tap?
      17.38K and 8K are the specs I've read.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

      Comment


      • #4
        yes the strat and tele use different wire, and the tap is half way on stock pups. if you want it somewhere else, you need to go custom shop with the prices that come with it. its a cool pup had one in a guitar for a long time

        Comment


        • #5
          thank you all!
          well before i consider the custom shop route i'll try a regular one.

          so the strat QP seems to be around 43 AWG and the Tele QP 44 AWG. Same with the lil 59, i guess.
          i always thought a tele bridge is the bigger coil so you would think it's the other way around???

          Anyhow, i am afraid the ~8k tab with 44 AWG is a lil wimpy, but then, i guess, you can not really compare it to a regular sized magnet single coil...

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a Custom Shop Hot For Tele Tapped. It sounds so good full strength that I literally NEVER use the tapped output.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              I have a Custom Shop Hot For Tele Tapped. It sounds so good full strength that I literally NEVER use the tapped output.
              This sounds like a cool pickup. I wonder if the tap is half-way on that one, too.
              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mincer View Post

                This sounds like a cool pickup. I wonder if the tap is half-way on that one, too.
                I guess they're calling it the '53 tapped now. Looks like 6.3K and 9.3K. http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/53-tapped-tele/

                I have a '54 Esquire. A real one. The pickup is about 6K so the lower output of the '53 Tapped kind of matches that.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Strat one is about 14K, the Tele about 17K. That is pretty normal percentage difference between Strat and Tele pickups.

                  I would assume the taps are at the halfway point, but I don't know for sure. I believe that the taps are in a good spot IMO, having used them. Tapped sounds like a classic Tele or Strat pickup. I set my guitars up to be normal like that, and treated the switch as a boost. I used the boost (i.e. the full coil) so infrequently that I ended up selling the pickups.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    The Strat one is about 14K, the Tele about 17K. That is pretty normal percentage difference between Strat and Tele pickups.
                    define normal:
                    the QP strat version DCR is 78,8% of the tele version.
                    lil59 strat DCR is 66,1% of the tele version.
                    The Hot for strat DCR is 97,5% of the tele version.
                    A2P DC is 94,3% ...
                    ssl2 DCR vs broadcaster DCR is 81,3%

                    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    I would assume the taps are at the halfway point, but I don't know for sure. I believe that the taps are in a good spot IMO, having used them. Tapped sounds like a classic Tele or Strat pickup. I set my guitars up to be normal like that, and treated the switch as a boost. I used the boost (i.e. the full coil) so infrequently that I ended up selling the pickups.
                    Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    I have a Custom Shop Hot For Tele Tapped. It sounds so good full strength that I literally NEVER use the tapped output.
                    well if i end up only using one of the taps fine by me. but i fear one is too bright and one too fat. I want to add a spin a split.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                      well if i end up only using one of the taps fine by me. but i fear one is too bright and one too fat. I want to add a spin a split.
                      But this isn't a humbucker with two coils. It only has one. I've never done the spinasplit mod but I thought it only worked with humbuckers, which have two coils.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here's some info on this from 2008. It be useful. Conclusion, use a switch for the tap.

                        https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ed-single-coil

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          Here's some info on this from 2008. It be useful. Conclusion, use a switch for the tap.

                          https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ed-single-coil
                          thanks,
                          i got the idea from here:
                          https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...18-Dial-a-tap=
                          trial and error i guess

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One of the cool things about a tapped pup, is you can do OOP with only one half of a push-pull, or DPDT switch. Which means, you can also do full output in one position, and half-OOP in the other, with one PP.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Split_OOP.png
Views:	69
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	6009108
                            ​​​​​​​
                            ​​​​​​​

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thanks, but i am not a fan of out of phase sounds: i dislike everything with some honk or quack

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X