banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best upgrade to get more positions from a 3-way guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArtieToo
    replied
    That's good to know. I should try mine out. It's the actual plastic switch itself that seems a bit fragile to me. I need to find an app for it.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I've used my S1 hard for a long time. Nothing cheap about them. They are the best push/push switch I've ever used, and will put their reliability up there with any push/pull. It is a really elegant and ergonomic switch.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I didn't know the S1 was a thing. It looks like a variation on the push/pull except with a central button.

If I have too much free time, I could do a six-way toggle with a push pull for 12 sounds.
    The S1 is two DPDT's in one case. (Like two push-pulls.) So, you can actually do two humbuckers series/parallel with one physical switch. And there is the "Tele-style" metal knob/button. I have both. But I haven't installed them yet, because they DO have a "cheap-ish" feel to them. And that's a shame. The S-1 switch is a cool idea. Just implemented poorly.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Single volume is the only knob - no tone controls? Then the S1 is probably the simplest option, seems handier than a push-pull to me.

I actually prefer having separate split switches when I can, since I like split neck tone better than split bridge tone.

Depending on the strength of your humbuckers, you could go with resistor splits like the DGT wiring - ideal for vintage output pickups.

I like a rotary myself. Been using one on my favorite PRS since '87. Don't find it difficult, or prone to missed settings.
    At first I thought I might have trouble getting used to it, after years with Strats & Les Pauls. But it was never a problem.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 08-10-2020, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt_Herman
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Rotary switches offer a lot of flexibility and versatility. But they're very subjective. You almost need to install one to see if you really like it.

Here's one of my most egregious projects. It didn't last long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackmore-Plus.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	6008416

The bottom three knobs are rotary's. DP4T, DP4T, 3P3T, respectively. Can't remember what they did, but it was fun for awhile. (That's two tapped QP's, and a Lil 59.)
    I like how the saddle material follows a similar color scheme as the pickups, looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    They make one for a Tele knob, too.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The S1 works better than any push/pull I've ever used- super easy to use quickly, and it is basically invisible.
    But you have to use it with a plastic fender style knob? Guitar has metal knob and I want it to keep that look.

I'll just get a push/pull pot, that way I don't have to drill out the hole.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    The S1 works better than any push/pull I've ever used- super easy to use quickly, and it is basically invisible.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    I think the normal 3 way with an S1 switch to split both coils is a great setup, and probably my preferred one. You can get lots of sounds out of that.
    I didn't know the S1 was a thing. It looks like a variation on the push/pull except with a central button.

If I have too much free time, I could do a six-way toggle with a push pull for 12 sounds.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    I think the normal 3 way with an S1 switch to split both coils is a great setup, and probably my preferred one. You can get lots of sounds out of that.
    I love the S1 switch, what a useful option to have.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    If you want all those options with only one pot and not wanting to drill any holes, I'd suggest Triple Shot mounting rings for the pups. That would allow you to get series, parallel, split to screw coil, and split to slug coil for each pup. Then you could use a push/pull vol pot to switch to out of phase. I've got MANY guitar with TS rings and find them exceptionally easy to use and very reliable once installed (it's a delicate procedure to install them, but if you're careful they are super effective).

A rotating switch is difficult to use. I've had several guitars with them and find that it's not only hard to work, but easy to get the wrong position on the fly while playing.

The Free-Way switch is very expensive and I've heard lots of complaints about difficulty to get it in the right position and about its reliability.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Rotary switches offer a lot of flexibility and versatility. But they're very subjective. You almost need to install one to see if you really like it.

Here's one of my most egregious projects. It didn't last long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackmore-Plus.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	6008416

The bottom three knobs are rotary's. DP4T, DP4T, 3P3T, respectively. Can't remember what they did, but it was fun for awhile. (That's two tapped QP's, and a Lil 59.)

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    I like HH Coil Split 2V2T, then add a separate phase.

Just a single volume, right?

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Check out the : HH Phase & Single Coils 2V/2T . That looks the most useful to me.

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-0...aydiagrams.pdf

Only problem I will have to drill out hole to make it bigger.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X