banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the new Brad Paisley Secret Agent Esquire Neck Pickup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is a great solution for guys who think that middle pickup is in the way. Very cool concept, one I think many people will want to explore. Heck, who knows where this might sound good?

Doesn't Taylor offer a hidden pickup on one of their TZ's?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, I'd love a hidden middle pickup on a Strat. Or a set of hidden pickups, which might change the way we design guitars.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Yeah, I'd love a hidden middle pickup on a Strat. Or a set of hidden pickups, which might change the way we design guitars.
        Heck yeah! The idea of hidden pickups in itself is pretty cool. Getting the middle pickup out of the way on a Strat would be an amazing use for a purpose-built pickup like the Secret Agent.

Maybe this trend will catch on and perhaps we'll see some other options come about using this concept.

I know I've been on a Meteora kick lately, but this was one of the prototypes from several years ago. No visible pickups...doesn't get cleaner than that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender-concept1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	6012792

Comment

I can sure see using a hidden pickup as the middle pickup in a Strat. It would have to combine well with the neck and bridge pickups and get that sound we're used too though. Probably wouldn't be a huge market for it although I'd think Duncan could sell enough of them to make it worthwhile for them. You'd need a new pickguard too. Maybe custom. Now it's starting to get expensive.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

So how do ya mount the damned thing? It has no mounting ears that I can see. Foam underneath, with the pickup pressed against the bottom of the guard? That would, sadly, limit its use to only its intended purpose: hidden under a guard. And what are the basic specs?
            Can you get it without the unsightly Duncan logo? Really interested, because it might just fit the bill in the bridge position of a guitar I'm building.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Secret_Agent_Front_HiRes__48388.1597947327.1280.1280.png Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	6012854
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-28-2020, 02:40 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Can you get it without the unsightly Duncan logo?
              If it's under the pickguard you'll never see the logo.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That pickup sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  So how do ya mount the damned thing? It has no mounting ears that I can see. Foam underneath, with the pickup pressed against the bottom of the guard? That would, sadly, limit its use to only its intended purpose: hidden under a guard. And what are the basic specs?
                  Can you get it without the unsightly Duncan logo? Really interested, because it might just fit the bill in the bridge position of a guitar I'm building.
                  I've been reading as much as I can find about it and it uses a medium output ceramic bar magnet.

As for mounting, I pictured it being held to the underside of the pickguard with double stick foam tape to keep it close to the strings and also from rattling against the pickguard. But that's an assumption. I've not read that anywhere. Good question.

It looks to me like the coil is wider than a standard Tele neck pickup's coil. And my guess is that it would take up the whole rout under the pickguard and leave no room for mounting screws. Again, that's an assumption. I've not read that anywhere.

As for ordering one without the "unsightly" Duncan logo: good luck with THAT!

It looks raised and like part of the pickup.
                  Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-28-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I've been reading as much as I can find about it and it uses a medium output ceramic bar magnet.

As for mounting, I pictured it being held to the underside of the pickguard with double stick foam tape to keep it close to the strings and also from rattling against the pickguard. But that's an assumption. I've not read that anywhere. Good question.

It looks to me like the coil is wider than a standard Tele neck pickup's coil. And my guess is that it would take up the whole rout under the pickguard and leave no room for mounting screws. Again, that's an assumption. I've not read that anywhere.

As for ordering one without the "unsightly" Duncan logo: good luck with THAT!

It looks raised and like part of the pickup.
                    I wouldn't say "part of the pickup," because it implies it's impossible not to have it. It's obviously molded into the bobbin, which was a choice on Duncan's part...but that has no role in making the pickup "what it is," design-wise. All you need to do is make it with a logo-less bobbin. They have logo-less versions of bobbins of this general style. If it uses the old, pre-existing bobbin size, then it's possible (and they already have the parts). If it's a new size, at Tele neck width, then I doubt they have, or will ever order, logo-less bobbins for it. So the solution will be to shave it down, blend, and re-polish the bobbin top.

To me, it looks like the bobbin is Tele neck sized. But it can't be said definitively from photos.

I think it's pretty funny that they placed their logo on a pickup that's whole purpose is to be invisible. Perhaps it is indeed a pre-existing bobbin, on that point alone. I'd like to think they thought that through, anyhow.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-28-2020, 03:02 PM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Spoke with Justin in the Duncan Custom Shop just now.

He said as far as he knows the coil is the same size as a normal Tele neck pickup.

He said it sits on foam under the pickup that acts sort of like a spring that presses it against the underside of the pickguard.

He said that so far as he knows rattling against the underside of the pickguard is not an issue.

He said he's never heard one, but that word in the shop is that in terms of volume it's not quite as loud as a conventional Tele rhythm pickup, because even though it's a high output pickup, it sits so far from the strings that it's not quite as loud.

Delivery time is 3 - 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        I dont love tele neck pups in general, a firebird pup in the neck kicks ass though.
                        Yeah. I discovered the SM-1 in a Tele when I did a customers Brent Mason. I immediately went out and got a Tele, an SM-1, and the Brent Mason control plate and pickguard. But this pup might be perfect for that. Hidden in the middle position. I think I might attach it using that glue that they use to attach credit cards to letters. It would prevent it from rattling and peel off easily.

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Heck yeah! The idea of hidden pickups in itself is pretty cool. Getting the middle pickup out of the way on a Strat would be an amazing use for a purpose-built pickup like the Secret Agent.

Maybe this trend will catch on and perhaps we'll see some other options come about using this concept.

I know I've been on a Meteora kick lately, but this was one of the prototypes from several years ago. No visible pickups...doesn't get cleaner than that!

Name:	Fender-concept1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	6012792
                        That thing is sweet! Nice.

Comment

Yeah, I had never seen that. If it was possible to either come up with new sounds, or replicate traditional-pickup sounds with hidden pickups, it could really change what a guitar looks like. While I am a huge pickup fan, the look of them isn't my favorite part of the guitar.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A std. strat without a middle pickups looks weird to me.
                            but on guitars with some nice flame maple tops and other beautiful woods i can see it catching on

Comment

I've always liked a purpose-built guitar without visible pickups. I see pickguards as an opportunity to add visual layers (like on the Meteora) rather than a way to cover ugly electronics cavities and mount pickups. Can you imagine a couple hidden singles and a hidden humbucker on a guitar like this:

Name:	f8f1d469315d30af48264eb1c13c4ecf9397fe06.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	6012994

How cool would THAT be? Screw tradition

Comment

no!
                                because magnetic PU don't work so great with nylon strings

Comment

Working...
                                X