No announcement yet.

ALL THE MAGNETS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A4, A5, UOA5, and A6 all have similar strength but drastically different tones.

An A2 spacer, degaussed A2, full strength A2, and double thick A2 have drastically different strengths but the same tone.

So no, you're incorrect.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-04-2020, 01:57 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Surely someone besides me thought of this after seeing the thread title. If you didn't before, you will now.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        Magnets don’t have a tone.
        This is so true. And amps don't have tone either. Niether do speakers. They are just a bunch of physical, electronic parts put together. Heck, I sat all day long one day with my ear pressed tightly to my amp and I didn't hear a thing. No matter which tubes I put into it.

But seriously, we all know that magnets don't in-and-of-themselves have a tone. But it's convenient to refer to them as having a tonal characteristic when used in a pup. They do, in fact, each impart a unique quality to the tone that a pup is capable of producing.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          A4, A5, UOA5, and A9 all have similar strength but drastically different tones.

An A2 spacer, degaussed A2, full strength A2, and double thick A2 have drastically different strengths but the same tone.

So no, you're incorrect.
          Good one.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Sorry. This will be a vague answer, but it's along the lines of why they didn't have a channel 1 on old TV's. Somewhere around here I have a PDF document from the "magnet" society. The number comes from the date it was developed. Not it's magnet strength. Number #1, might have been a formulation that failed, or fell out of favor.

Again, sorry. Late night explanation. I'll see if I can find that PDF.

Ooop. There is an A1. Almost the same as an A2. I can't upload the PDF. It's too big. Maybe I can find it online.

It's "Magnetic Materials Producers Association (MMPA Standard) No. 0100-00"

Great reference! Thanks for posting that, Artie.

Comment

Yur welcome.

Comment

Any idea where I can get an A1?

All the more reason to buy more gear to house it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Your thoughts on Alnico 9 magnet

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

Real talk - I only use magnets with NOS germanium true bypass tonewoods

I had to come back to this thread to re-experience the laughter I had when I first read the "true bypass tonewood". Absolutely amazing, made my day, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                      Your thoughts on Alnico 9 magnet
                      Bright, tight, and loud

It has an aggressive top end, and can chug-a-lug

Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                      Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                      Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                      Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                      Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                      Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                      Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                      Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                      Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                      PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I just had a custom pickup maker wind me a pickup with a Alnico 9 magnet and it sound just AMAZING
                        Last edited by pittbull; 09-05-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Alnico 9 magnet is very nice

Comment

What about Alnico π ?

Comment

I have humbuckers with every magnet type! A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, A9, and ceramic

Please don't burst my bubble and tell me there's an A1 and an A7... lol

If I specify a magnet after the pickup, there was a swap; otherwise, the pickup is stock:

Gibson Les Paul, Zhangbucker Crushbucker A6 bridge, Duncan Alnico II Pro neck
                              Gibson SG special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm mini A4
                              Strat HSS, SD Pearly Gates Double Thick A6 bridge Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
                              Strat HSS hardtail, SD Perpetual Burn Double Thick A6, Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
                              Tele, SD Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Duncan Hot for Tele neck
                              Tele, DMZ Transition A6 bridge, Duncan Seth Lover A4 neck
                              Jackson V, Gibson 500T bridge, Gibson 498T A2 neck
                              RG, DMZ EVO2 A9 bridge, DMZ Fred Neck
                              Mini Travel Axe HSS: DMZ Air Norton Double Thick A8 bridge, Duncan SSL6s middle, GFS Mean 90 neck
                              Partscaster HSH: Burstbucker 3 Double thick A6 bridge, SD SSL6 middle, Duncan '59 A3 neck

Takeaways from the excessive amount of pickup swapping / magnet swapping I've done:
                              - I often prefer pickups that are slightly hotter than vintage, but with stronger magnets swapped in, rather than having a high DCR
                              - I love the way an A6 magnet thickens up the bridge position
                              - as guys like Clint have pointed out, double thick / extra thick magnets can really thicken up your sound
                              - I have a problem. I'm a gear-a-holic
                              - despite the above, I still need more guitars
                              - Swapping pot values, and/or adding resistors to the pickup switch so different pickups "see" different pot values, can really sculpt your tone
                              There are at least a couple different types of ceramic magnet used in guitar pickups. You didn't specify whether you've tried them all.

Most common is Ceramic 5. Ceramic 8 is a lesser used one.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I have humbuckers with every magnet type! A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, A9, and ceramic

Please don't burst my bubble and tell me there's an A1 and an A7... lol

If I specify a magnet after the pickup, there was a swap; otherwise, the pickup is stock:

Gibson Les Paul, Zhangbucker Crushbucker A6 bridge, Duncan Alnico II Pro neck
                                Gibson SG special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm mini A4
                                Strat HSS, SD Pearly Gates Double Thick A6 bridge Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
                                Strat HSS hardtail, SD Perpetual Burn Double Thick A6, Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
                                Tele, SD Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Duncan Hot for Tele neck
                                Tele, DMZ Transition A6 bridge, Duncan Seth Lover A4 neck
                                Jackson V, Gibson 500T bridge, Gibson 498T A2 neck
                                RG, DMZ EVO2 A9 bridge, DMZ Fred Neck
                                Mini Travel Axe HSS: DMZ Air Norton Double Thick A8 bridge, Duncan SSL6s middle, GFS Mean 90 neck
                                Partscaster HSH: Burstbucker 3 Double thick A6 bridge, SD SSL6 middle, Duncan '59 A3 neck

Takeaways from the excessive amount of pickup swapping / magnet swapping I've done:
                                - I often prefer pickups that are slightly hotter than vintage, but with stronger magnets swapped in, rather than having a high DCR
                                - I love the way an A6 magnet thickens up the bridge position
                                - as guys like Clint have pointed out, double thick / extra thick magnets can really thicken up your sound
                                - I have a problem. I'm a gear-a-holic
                                - despite the above, I still need more guitars
                                - Swapping pot values, and/or adding resistors to the pickup switch so different pickups "see" different pot values, can really sculpt your tone
                                How would you compare the topend of an A6 to an A5? I typically love the low end of an A5, but wish the high end was a little softer.
                                Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                                X