ALL THE MAGNETS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALL THE MAGNETS

I have humbuckers with every magnet type! A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, A9, and ceramic

Please don't burst my bubble and tell me there's an A1 and an A7... lol

If I specify a magnet after the pickup, there was a swap; otherwise, the pickup is stock:

Gibson Les Paul, Zhangbucker Crushbucker A6 bridge, Duncan Alnico II Pro neck
    Gibson SG special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm mini A4
    Strat HSS, SD Pearly Gates Double Thick A6 bridge Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, SD Perpetual Burn Double Thick A6, Duncan SSL6s middle/neck
    Tele, SD Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Duncan Hot for Tele neck
    Tele, DMZ Transition A6 bridge, Duncan Seth Lover A4 neck
    Jackson V, Gibson 500T bridge, Gibson 498T A2 neck
    RG, DMZ EVO2 A9 bridge, DMZ Fred Neck
    Mini Travel Axe HSS: DMZ Air Norton Double Thick A8 bridge, Duncan SSL6s middle, GFS Mean 90 neck
    Partscaster HSH: Burstbucker 3 Double thick A6 bridge, SD SSL6 middle, Duncan '59 A3 neck

Takeaways from the excessive amount of pickup swapping / magnet swapping I've done:
    - I often prefer pickups that are slightly hotter than vintage, but with stronger magnets swapped in, rather than having a high DCR
    - I love the way an A6 magnet thickens up the bridge position
    - as guys like Clint have pointed out, double thick / extra thick magnets can really thicken up your sound
    - I have a problem. I'm a gear-a-holic
    - despite the above, I still need more guitars
    - Swapping pot values, and/or adding resistors to the pickup switch so different pickups "see" different pot values, can really sculpt your tone
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

you mean you havent tried a7? dude, its like the best magnet ever. for everything!

Comment

Especially sticking things to the fridge

Comment

Nothing beats the A666

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Nothing beats the A666
          Not even cryogenically cooled neodymium?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Serious question. Where is the A1?

Comment

Sorry. This will be a vague answer, but it's along the lines of why they didn't have a channel 1 on old TV's. Somewhere around here I have a PDF document from the "magnet" society. The number comes from the date it was developed. Not it's magnet strength. Number #1, might have been a formulation that failed, or fell out of favor.

Again, sorry. Late night explanation. I'll see if I can find that PDF.

Ooop. There is an A1. Almost the same as an A2. I can't upload the PDF. It's too big. Maybe I can find it online.

It's "Magnetic Materials Producers Association (MMPA Standard) No. 0100-00"

Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-02-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Sorry. This will be a vague answer, but it's along the lines of why they didn't have a channel 1 on old TV's. Somewhere around here I have a PDF document from the "magnet" society. The number comes from the date it was developed. Not it's magnet strength. Number #1, might have been a formulation that failed, or fell out of favor.

Ooop. There is an A1. Almost the same as an A2. I can't upload the PDF. It's too big. Maybe I can find it online.

The below paragraph in itself opens previously unidentified rabbit holes of gear snobbery....

"1.0 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION Alnico alloys basically consist of aluminum, nickel, cobalt, copper, iron and titanium. In some grades cobalt and/or titanium are omitted. Also these alloys may contain additions of silicon, columbium, zirconium or other elements which enhance heat treatment response of one of the magnetic characteristics."

"Dude! That pup has an A2 with silicone in it? Don't even bother looking at it, the silicone in the mag makes it sound dull lifeless and cheap!"

Comment

I agree very much about one thing. Adding stronger magnets to a lower wind pickup is a "better" way to get a hotter pickup than is a heavier wind. Tone gets too congested and you lose your high end a lot of the time, with a heavier wind. But take the same coils, and just drive them harder into the amp by using a stronger magnet, and you can get the extra boost you want without getting that blocked up tone.

G&L's MFDs use this philosophy. They aren't wound very heavily at all...but they are powered by strong ceramic magnets, with steel poles. The result is a pickup that is strong, yet extremely clear.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-03-2020, 12:55 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

The below paragraph in itself opens previously unidentified rabbit holes of gear snobbery....

"1.0 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION Alnico alloys basically consist of aluminum, nickel, cobalt, copper, iron and titanium. In some grades cobalt and/or titanium are omitted. Also these alloys may contain additions of silicon, columbium, zirconium or other elements which enhance heat treatment response of one of the magnetic characteristics."

"Dude! That pup has an A2 with silicone in it? Don't even bother looking at it, the silicone in the mag makes it sound dull lifeless and cheap!"
                    But I wonder if the "columbium" will give better "highs."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Now we know why pickups are so expensive... magnet building is a union job.

Comment

Real talk - I only use magnets with NOS germanium true bypass tonewoods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                        Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                        Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                        Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                        Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                        Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                        Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                        Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                        Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                        PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

You left out UOA5! I've tried em all and my favz are A2, A3, A6, A5, and UOA5. A6 is underrated as eff. It's as viable as the best of em. A9 is pretty bad ass too.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Not even cryogenically cooled neodymium?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            Obviously, not as hot.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Silicon. No e

Seriously though, the deal with magnets is the strength more than the alloy.

Magnets don’t have a tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X