ALL THE MAGNETS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
    How would you compare the topend of an A6 to an A5? I typically love the low end of an A5, but wish the high end was a little softer.
    That's basically what you'll get. A6 is very similar to A5. The round bass is almost identical. The 2 main differences are the top is slightly rounded and it has added soft low mids.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

That's basically what you'll get. A6 is very similar to A5. The round bass is almost identical. The 2 main differences are the top is slightly rounded and it has added soft low mids.
      I would add that A6 has very muscular mids, especially low mids. To my ears, this makes it somewhat dark sounding, even though there is more treble bit to an A6 than there is to A2, 3, or 4.

UOA5 is often (accurately) called a cross between an A2 and A5. I would say A6 is like a UOA5, but much hotter, and much tighter (doesn't have the sponginess of an A2 like UOA5 does)
      __PRESENT
      Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
      Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
      Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
      Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
      Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
      Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
      Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
      Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
      Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
      PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Sorry. This will be a vague answer, but it's along the lines of why they didn't have a channel 1 on old TV's. Somewhere around here I have a PDF document from the "magnet" society. The number comes from the date it was developed. Not it's magnet strength. Number #1, might have been a formulation that failed, or fell out of favor.

Again, sorry. Late night explanation. I'll see if I can find that PDF.

Ooop. There is an A1. Almost the same as an A2. I can't upload the PDF. It's too big. Maybe I can find it online.

It's "Magnetic Materials Producers Association (MMPA Standard) No. 0100-00"

Where's A4?
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
          I would add that A6 has very muscular mids, especially low mids. To my ears, this makes it somewhat dark sounding, even though there is more treble bit to an A6 than there is to A2, 3, or 4.

UOA5 is often (accurately) called a cross between an A2 and A5. I would say A6 is like a UOA5, but much hotter, and much tighter (doesn't have the sponginess of an A2 like UOA5 does)
          __PRESENT
          I agree. A6 isn't muffled, but it does have a strange overall darkness to it. However, I compare it to A5 because of the non spongy response. It's oriented and none of the oriented mags have a spongy response. Only the unoriented mags minus A4.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
            What about Alnico π ?
            Tastes a little metallic - you have to add some lemon juice and extra brown sugar to balance it out.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

Where's A4?
              I don't know. I didn't write it. Just posted the link.

Comment

Not a stab at you, Artie... sorry if it seemed so!

I just found if weird that a comprehensive article like the one you posted didn't mention it.
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Not a stab at you, Artie... sorry if it seemed so!

I just found if weird that a comprehensive article like the one you posted didn't mention it.
                  No, no man. Didn't take it that way at all. I didn't notice the lack of A4 when I first saw that article. Not sure why they omitted it. I wonder if there's a newer version of that document?

Comment

Where's A4?
                    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

No, no man. Didn't take it that way at all. I didn't notice the lack of A4 when I first saw that article. Not sure why they omitted it. I wonder if there's a newer version of that document?

My understanding is that A4 has no officially recognized formulation.
                    Some claimed for years that no spec for it existed but I assume one has been found.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Now we know why pickups are so expensive... magnet building is a union job.
                        None of that talk here, thank you.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                        X