banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man, I wish this Custom Shop pickup was a production model....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, I wish this Custom Shop pickup was a production model....

I love the concept of the "Five Two Strat Stack". The Five Two is my favorite single coil pickup, ever. I would replace every single coil pickup I own with this noiseless version if it were a production pickup. Another one I love is the BG1400. It is noiseless (see a theme I've got?), and powerful, and de-twangs a Tele just enough so it will push a Princeton or Deluxe into overdrive without a pedal (at a reasonable volume). Are there any Custom Shop pickups you wish were not made in the CS anymore? Maybe for price or accessibility?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

i think it's about time the '78 was a production model.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I've said for a long time that I think SD needs to create an "Elite" series, which are popular Custom Shop models moved to production with a price point that 's just above the regular production line, but nowhere near CS prices. They'd sell like crazy, I swear.

'78
      RTM
      Crazy 8
      Brobucker
      High Voltage set

Those would be my starting choices. I'm a little less versed in the SD CS singles, but Mincer's suggestions sounded great!

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
        i think it's about time the '78 was a production model.
        Yes. 100% agree. Like, inexcusably beyond overdue at this point

I just want to point out that they've moved both the Alpha/Omega and Jupiter sets to "production" very shortly after the CS-only offering. Makes no sense that a 20-year old design can't be given the same treatment

Comment

SH9 set has to come back. One of the best pickups SD has made but they simply canceled. cancel culture, avant la lettre? it's got a meaty, powerful tone in series, like a hotrodded PAF but it's got a split tone to die for.

Comment

Brobucker. Definitely.
            A 10k vintage type pickup? Sign me up.

My topper would be the OG el diablo.
            Offer it as a set with the screamin demon too.

I am for as many production models possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I love the concept of the "Five Two Strat Stack". The Five Two is my favorite single coil pickup, ever. I would replace every single coil pickup I own with this noiseless version if it were a production pickup.
              I've got the production version lying around here somewhere. I've really got to try it in something. But noiseless versions, at production prices would be cool.

I've never heard a BG1400, but they sure are intriguing.

Comment

I don't know if it's true or not but I think of the Custom Shop as being Seymour's shop and Seymour Duncan Pickups as being jointly Cathy Duncan's and Seymour's company.

I kind of like certain pickups staying in the Custom Shop and getting a more personal touch. (And roughcast magnets! )

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Derek Duncan runs the custom shop.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I would want Mustang and Jaguar humbuckers. Might not be that popular but noone makes them so I don't see why not. I adore the tone color of Mustang and Jaguar pickups but I hate single coils. The Ant Mustang stag mag I made is outa sight.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      I would want Mustang and Jaguar humbuckers. Might not be that popular but noone makes them so I don't see why not. I adore the tone color of Mustang and Jaguar pickups but I hate single coils. The Ant Mustang stag mag I made is outa sight.
                      Gearing up for production of pickups there's not much demand for doesn't make good business sense.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        I don't know if it's true or not but I think of the Custom Shop as being Seymour's shop and Seymour Duncan Pickups as being jointly Cathy Duncan's and Seymour's company.

I kind of like certain pickups staying in the Custom Shop and getting a more personal touch. (And roughcast magnets! )

You can always order regular 'production' models made in the Custom Shop. Either way, they are made by skilled people.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Yes. 100% agree. Like, inexcusably beyond overdue at this point

I just want to point out that they've moved both the Alpha/Omega and Jupiter sets to "production" very shortly after the CS-only offering. Makes no sense that a 20-year old design can't be given the same treatment
                          The Whole Lotta Humbucker was CS only for a minute as well. I know when I started getting into the pickup world the '78 (or as it was then known, the Even Voiced Harmonics) was like a mythical beast to me...call this number, give them $120, and they will wind you the secret Eddie Van Halen pickup! but now with so many companies offering a 9k A2 brown sound bucker, it doesn't make sense not to be able to get one from the master at the same price as say, a perpetual burn or a dimebucker.
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                            Gearing up for production of pickups there's not much demand for doesn't make good business sense.
                            I know. There are stock HH Mustangs and Jaguars now tho. Less niche than some of Duncan's stock pickups.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 09-11-2020, 02:57 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

i 2nd the Original El Diabolo(/hot Demon) request. I would have tried this PU already if it was a production model.
                              Same for the S-Deco and maybe the '78.

in my opinion Duncan also needs a bright Tele neck PU as a production model with a nickel silver cover like the Twisted Tele neck or something like their
                              RHYTHM FOR TELE WITH STRAT TONE
                              The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

they only have brass covered ones now. I have the STR-1 in one guitar and it's a nice change from my brighter neck singles, but come on, that shouldn't be the "brightest" pickup in the tele lineup. Can't imaging how muddy that APTR-1 must be.

Maybe a hot authentic AWG 43 Alnico 3 Broadcaster Bridge wouldn't hurt, too.
                              But I guess Teles are not the biggest sellers.

Comment

Working...
                              X