No announcement yet.

Do you need a trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a Gibson or PRS or Epi I'd go standard.

In a Strat I've always gone Trembucker.

Truthfully, I've not heard a difference.

But I like the idea of the polepieces lining up under the strings.

EVH used a standard humbucker but he liked the polepieces lining up under the strings too.

That's why he angled it.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

that's interesting, according to the sticky the TB and SH JB have the same output (737)
      Those readings are bs. It has the Invader neck cooler than the Jazz neck. The Invader neck has 3 large ceramics and would blow the Jazz away in output, probably be like 2/3 hotter.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        In a Gibson or PRS or Epi I'd go standard.
        Standard humbucker spacing lines up the poles horribly in modern Gibsons and Epis with Nashville bridges. TBs line up much better.

Again, it really doesn't matter sonically...but if you're after the visual lineup, you want TBs on guitars that use modern Gibson bridge spacing or thereabout.

Why do ya think that most of the Gibson humbuckers that use standard spacing are the ones marketed as vintage style pickups?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Those readings are bs. It has the Invader neck cooler than the Jazz neck. The Invader neck has 3 large ceramics and would blow the Jazz away in output, probably be like 2/3 hotter.
          makes sense, i thought it was weird the pegasus was lower output than the 59 on those readings

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

Standard humbucker spacing lines up the poles horribly in modern Gibsons and Epis with Nashville bridges. TBs line up much better.

Again, it really doesn't matter sonically...but if you're after the visual lineup, you want TBs on guitars that use modern Gibson bridge spacing or thereabout.

Why do ya think that most of the Gibson humbuckers that use standard spacing are the ones marketed as vintage style pickups?
            Didn't think any Epis come stock with the Nashville bridge.

Gibson Les Paul Standard does.

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional doesn't.

https://menga.net/les-paul-bridge#:~...%20the%20neck.

In any case, my Gibson guitars don't. They have the standard ABR-1 style tune-o-matic, which is more common.

Does the Trembucker fit in a standard Gibson pickup ring? Not sure that they do.

Comment

Does the Trembucker fit in a standard Gibson pickup ring? Not sure that they do.
              They fit. If someone has done mag swaps and didn't get the tape on tight, then it may scrape the ring a bit, but they fit and work fine on modern Gibsons.

Comment

Didn't think any Epis come stock with the Nashville bridge.

Gibson Les Paul Standard does.

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional doesn't.

https://menga.net/les-paul-bridge#:~...%20the%20neck.

In any case, my Gibson guitars don't. They have the standard ABR-1 style tune-o-matic, which is more common.

Epiphones use a saddle spacing similar to modern Gibson spacing.

The ABR-1 is not "standard" across the board, and it is certainly not "more common." It was back in the old days, when it was pretty much the only option. But the vast majority of Gibsons built since the introduction of the wider spaced bridges have...wider spaced bridges. We're talking probably 40 years now that most standard production Gibsons have come with a wider spaced bridge.

ABRs have become slightly more common since the bankruptcy, by popular demand. But by far the vast majority of Gibsons that are out there in service at this moment are equipped with wider spaced bridges (as are Epis).

And again, Gibson themselves provide wider spaced bridge pickups, unless the pickups in question are "vintage" style, e.g. a '57 Classic. These are 0.2 mm (less than 0.008 inch) narrower in pole spacing than TBs, IIRC.

Trembuckers will have fitment problems on some rings and not on others, largely depending on whether or not the pickup is covered. You just use TB pickup rings if there are issues. This has nothing to do with whether or not the poles match the string spacing, which is what we are talking about.

Stating that regular pole spacing is the right visual spacing for Gibsons and Epis across the board is going to lead most Gibson and Epi owners in this day and age to choose the wrong pole spacing for best visual alignment of the pole pieces. It will line up OK on certain Gibsons that are in the minority – models with "vintage" saddle spacing, mostly.

It's really as simple as: Don't swallow generalizations that you read on Internet forums. Measure your string spacing over the pickup. There have been different bridges used on different models and/or at different times.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

does the DCR result in a difference in tone/output?
                  What determines a pickup's output is # turns of wire and magnet strength. Longer bobbins = longer wire for the same # turns, no change in output.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post

What determines a pickup's output is # turns of wire and magnet strength. Longer bobbins = longer wire for the same # turns, no change in output.
                    so what you're saying is a trembucker won't sound any different if you had 2 identical guitars, but one was F-spaced and one wasn't?

Comment

Yeah but we also know that the 3d shape of the coil, the aperture of the pickup, and the resistance - length of the wire, all change the tone. So I don't think you can really say with a straight face that they're gonna sound exactly the same in tone or in output.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 10-06-2020, 05:20 AM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

If you hear a difference or even THINK you hear a difference, then go for a Trembucker.

If you don't, then don't.

Think for yourself.

Comment

I wouldn't hear a difference, unless it was a lower output pickup and the poles were not lined up. But with a JB, I wouldn't hear a difference if it was a Trembucker or not.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not comparing apples with apples, but: I have a Duncan Distortion SH-6B in a Floyd Rose guitar, the alignment is off a wee bit, but compared to the other FR guitar that has a JB in the bridge, this one is slightly louder. Honestly I wouldn't be able to pick up any difference in output if I had a DD trembucker instead of the JB. The Distortion sounds really tight, strong and clear *and* has very little hum noise compared to both JBs I have. Only thing I did was to raise the pole under the high E one turn, just to fight my OCD.

Comment

that's interesting, according to the sticky the TB and SH JB have the same output (737)
                              I asked this question one time and the way it was explained to me is, there's more wire, yes, but the same amount of turns, so it's the same amount of output

Comment

Do you need a trembucker?

No.

Comment

Working...
                                X