Jalen 78 vs Duncan 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Just popping in to say that the Super 70's were some of the first to come with Alnico 8 magnets. The whole point of them was to be a higher output version of the classic (Gibson) design. No, they are not quite as "hot" as a MM or Super D, but DCR doesn't tell the whole story, so throwing those specs around when making comparisons can be a little misleading.

PDC, I can't wait to hear your impression of the Jalen. I was tempted by them many times. That said, Al Estrada can make practically anything sound like EVH, sort of like EVH himself
    I’ve got a Jalen ‘78 in a very high quality ‘Eruption’ tribute that a luthier in OK assembled for himself - and sold. Hard Ash Musikraft Franky Body, 6-screw Trem, Musikraft ‘Grail’ neck. And that guitar just sounds incredible. Of course, it does the early VH thing really, really well. But the pickup cleans up so nicely with the volume control that it really encourages lots of different styles. I’ve got a clear bobbin Jalen ‘Bee in one of my super-strats. Really cool, but I found the A8 magnet to be a little ‘hard’ sounding for lack of a better term. I swapped in a Rough Cast, Un-Oriended A5 and the pickup softened up and opened up nicely. I love his Pinnacle / Franky wind which I think is a little hotter at 14.4 with an A2. It sounds good in just about any guitar.

And I so agree with your thoughts on Al Estrada’s playing. Just like Pete Thorn, Estrada can make any piece of gear sound sensational, and he really has the right phrasing and ‘vibe’ so get the listener hearing Ed no matter what guitar or amp he’s playing throug. Always a chase!

Comment

Eddies rewound pickup was done after the recording of Van Halen 1, it’s all marketing BS look at all the SO-CALLED Van Halen sounding pickups that are out there almost all of them are considered high output,all the Eddie designed pickups are high output

Comment

Pete thorn showed the difference between a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a PAF type pickup and the dimarzio super distortion was much closer to Van Halen 1 then a PAF. PAF would be good for Van Halen 2 not Van Halen 1

Comment

The 1176 compressor had a lot to do with Eddies sound on Van Halen 1 which was used . Don Landee and Ted Templeman(recording engineers if some of you don’t know)used the 1176 which gave Eddie aggressive sound it added to it

Comment

Comment

Masta c your answer is very knowledgeable

Comment

The original post didn't even mention the first Van Halen album or what was used on it. There's really no need to even mention it. The post asked if anyone had compared two pickups. It's almost as if some of you just sit around and wait on some kind of Van Halen thread to pop up so you can post your "know it all" remarks.

Comment

Well people who are interested in the Duncan 78 and the Jalen 78 have the Van Halen 1 sound in mind(or believe it has to do with Van Halen 1)

Comment

Working...
                  X