No announcement yet.

First pickup you ever installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009. An Invader into the Bridge position of a ash-body Fender American HSS Strat. I remember it sounding shrill, but with 20/20 hindsight, maybe the brightness of ash and maple in the guitar wasn't as much to blame for that as the fizzy sounding distortion pedal that i used at that time, an MXR Fullbore Metal.

First attempt at soldering, unwisely starting in the evening of a Sunday night, having to use a living room glass table as a "workbench" because i didn't have a workbench back then. Needless to say I ended up staying up way too late on a worknight, with the new pup not working in all positions (the guitar had an S1 switch) and it requiring a couple more sessions of rework to figure out the problem. And memories of solder not flowing, not being able to solder to the back of a pot cause of the heatsink issues, it taking forever, etc. Haha, I've learned a lot since then. Soldering has been so much easier w a soldering iron w a temperature control, and knowing to clean and retin the tip after every use.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Screamin' Demon in an early Ibanez RG570. The sound was bright, but the articulation, low-end crunch and ease of harmonics all over the fretboard blew my mind. That's what really got me into Duncans.

Comment

I think a Duncan Full Shred neck to go with the Custom my guitar teacher put in the bridge of my first guitar!

Comment

It was either an original Gibson Dirty Fingers or a Pearly Gates. My first replacement pickup was an APS2 and then a Dimarzio PAF Pro.

Comment

1st swap my teacher did was a Jazzn in my Epi LP in 2016. I friggin forgot the 1st one I did on my own. It must have been a C5 in my Squier HSS Strat. It took me 2 hours to reign in my shakes and swap 1 pickup haha.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

A Pearly Gates trembucker in the bridge of my Hohner HSS strat copy as part of a complete rewire. The two single coils are all that remains from stock.

Comment

Early 80's and in a late 1970's Aria U 60. I cant remember what it was for sure but most likely candiate would be a Dimarzio SD
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

A Quarter Pound P-bass pickup into a Johnson bass. I later chiseled out a spot to add a jazz bass pickup in the bridge position.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I put a Tiesco pickup that looked like a P-90 but was built like a Jazzmaster pickuo into the bridge position of a Tiesco guitar that only has a neck pickup. It didn't sound half-bad!

Next was when I hacked a Gibson humbucker into a yard-sale hollowbody. A bit thin, but also not bad,

After that was a used JB (JBJ) into yet another '60s Tiesco hollowbody bought at a yard sale.

Those were all in the '80s. The first pickup I actually purchased new to install into a guitar was a Super Distortion, maybe 10 years ago. That was then followed by a dozen more as I finally understood how much difference there could be between humbuckers in the same guitar. I still want to try a few more!

Comment

My 1st were Tonerider humbuckers for my Epiphone LP. Amazon messed up and always kept sendin me 2 necks instead of the proper set.

my 1st SD pups were 59s to try and fix this issue.

Comment

Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot bridge in a 1966 Strat

Comment

The gold foil pickups in my Harmony Rocket when I was a kid.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

DiMarzio Super Distortion.

It was alright. Back then, I thought it sounded cool. I don't know if I'd dig it nowadays since I tend to dislike bassy pickups.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-24-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

One of my first posts, in this forum, many moons ago. Asking for a recommendation. Ya'll said: C5b/59n in my 80's MIA Peavey Predator. Still have it. Still love it.

Comment

JB!
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X