banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky for list of Duncans that are the same wind with different magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my old ears the 59b in the neck slot sounds the same as a wlh neck with a smooth A5 in it.

Comment

The Black Winter looks a little sus to me, too.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Brian L View Post
        To my old ears the 59b in the neck slot sounds the same as a wlh neck with a smooth A5 in it.
        I'm getting to the point where I have so many pickups that they're all starting to sound the same. But yeah no. The wlh has crunchy mids, the 59 is scooped.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Obviously your ears are superior

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

I'm getting to the point where I have so many pickups that they're all starting to sound the same. But yeah no. The wlh has crunchy mids, the 59 is scooped.
            WLH with RCA5 (factory) has crunchy mids. With smooth A5, I haven’t tried.

Comment

Mine came with a regular A5.
              I bought them for you

Comment

I always felt the wlh neck had a blanket over the amp kind of sound, when I tried it with a smooth A5 it just opened it up. Super clear and more of a paf sound. No woofiness in the bass....same as a 59b in the neck position. It’s a keeper.

Comment

Mine came with a regular A5.
                  Just curious, when did you buy yours? (Wondering if they changed the recipe. There was a custom shop first run, then production. Stock, they should be rough cast, which is part of how they get their texture and complexity and work so well split, parallel and out of phase.)

Comment

Last year. I've never gotten a Dunan with rc magnets. Wlh, Ant, JBJ.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

To the JB-Distortion question...

I've tried the JB with several different magnets (I believe they were A2, A5, UOA5, A8), and I've tried the Distortion with those same magnets (including the ceramic) in the SAME guitar with nothing else changed. I could never get the two pups to sound the same. The JB always sounded like a JB with that annoying upper mid hump no matter what magnet I tried in it. The Distortion sounded different with different magnets but it NEVER sounded like a JB!

To my ears, the JB and the Dist could not be the same pup.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Would I be correct to say that magnets make no difference to resistance?
                        Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

^ Correct. Resistance is the measure of what the wire dimension and length are. The magnet will change the pickup tone......and output too if you go from one on the weaker end to say an A8 or Ceramic.
                          None of the mag swaps from A2 through 5 have done anything other than eq shifts to my ears.....even to A3 which is a weak magnet.

Comment

Last year. I've never gotten a Dunan with rc magnets. Wlh, Ant, JBJ.
                            Did you buy used? Because even the web site has rough cast in the specs:

"The recipe for this pickup set begins with a rough cast alnico 5 magnet, plain enamel wire, and Seymour’s unique winding pattern. The bridge is a vintage-hot 8.78k DC resistance and the neck is similarly beefy at 8.20k. The rough cast magnets add warmth and balance so everything sounds bigger. What is sonically unique about the Whole Lotta Humbucker pickups is the way that they push your amp and add a very slight natural compression and sustain to your sound."

Seymour’s early 70s London P.A.F. rewind recipe that graced the guitars of some of the most important British artists of the time.

Comment

FWIW - I absolutely love the box-stock WLH. I’ve got one in my northern hard-ash strat with a non-locking trem and it just works everywhere. Surprisingly warm and smooth where one would realistically expect it to be thin and shrill. Lows are soft, but not flubby or mushy. I know pickups are 100% guitar and amp dependent - a pickup that sounds killer in one guitar through a specific amp can sound like ass in another piece of wood plugged into another amp. But the WLH really has my attention. I thought I had found my ‘grail’ pickup when I swapped an unoriented rough A5 in a ‘Custom’ wind - but A/B’d against a box stock WHL - I prefer the WLH.
                              Last edited by PDC; 10-01-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Did you buy used? Because even the web site has rough cast in the specs:

"The recipe for this pickup set begins with a rough cast alnico 5 magnet, plain enamel wire, and Seymour’s unique winding pattern. The bridge is a vintage-hot 8.78k DC resistance and the neck is similarly beefy at 8.20k. The rough cast magnets add warmth and balance so everything sounds bigger. What is sonically unique about the Whole Lotta Humbucker pickups is the way that they push your amp and add a very slight natural compression and sustain to your sound."

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...sition=set,set
                                The wlh and ant were new. They lie. I might be forgetting one too. Lew was saying that the majority of his ants came with rcs tho.
                                Last edited by Clint 55; 09-27-2020, 08:13 PM.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X