EMG HZ's... that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG HZ's... that bad?

I found an H4/H4A for sale locally very cheap. I kinda want to try both in the neck position of one of my guitars matched with the Black Winter in the bridge. The specs on the EMG site says these are thirteen-something K DCR, so spec-wise, they wouldn't be a bad match for the BW-B, would they?

I've had EMG HZ's in my bass for the longest time, and I don't think they're too bad. They're pretty clean-sounding. I also love active EMG's, so I may be a bit biased towards loving EMG's in general.

I've tried the H1, H4, and even owned the H3 in the past, but honestly, it has be a long while since that, and I don't remember what they're like.

So how do you guys think these would do matched with a BW-B? I kinda like smooth/warm/hot neck pickups in general, so I'm considering giving these a try. Or would it cash in the trash with these pickups?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM.

The HZ4A would be just fine for what you want.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Back when I was working as a tech, I had a customer who wanted me to swap a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb set for an H4/H4A set. I thought it was ridiculous, but it actually wasn't too bad. Imagine a drier, lower output 81/89. Personally, I don't think it would be a perfect match for a Black Winter bridge, but it would be decent if you like that kind of sound.

Comment

So they're worth it if I can score them for cheap?

Comment

Yes.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Rex,

What are the specs on the guitar you'll be installing the H4/H4A on?

I've got an H4A and H2A on-hand that i've been wanting to try out, i just haven't had the time to do the install. But it looks like my time may free up within the next few weeks to do it. When it does, i'll let you know what I think of them. They'll be going into a Les Paul type guitar, so think LP specs.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              Rex,

What are the specs on the guitar you'll be installing the H4/H4A on?

I've got an H4A and H2A on-hand that i've been wanting to try out, i just haven't had the time to do the install. But it looks like my time may free up within the next few weeks to do it. When it does, i'll let you know what I think of them. They'll be going into a Les Paul type guitar, so think LP specs.
              PRS SE Paul Allender - Mahogany body, maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard and PRS trem.

Comment

They don't sound bad here!

Comment

I am not a fan of the EMG Select line...they sound terrible with every guitar I've tried them in.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not my favorites, but I have a lot of experience with HZ bass pickups. They are totally usable and can sound great. I think of them as a clean paintbrush; no character of their own but they are a great tool once you add some color. They are quite responsive to player input and react to effects and amplifier characteristics well.

Not sure if the guitar pickups are the same but that has been my experience with the bass HZs.

Comment

Not bad at all! I've had them in a guitar for a decade or so (not anymore/ and as I recall, they were a lot more open sounding and versatile than the actives. That being said, you're missing out big time if you don't give the Black Winter neck a go!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I am not a fan of the EMG Select line...they sound terrible with every guitar I've tried them in.
                        These are not EMG Select. EMG Select are made in China cheaply. Not sure what design they use, but these are USA-made EMG passives. They seem to have almost as bad reputation as the Select line, but they are a step above in terms of quality and design, I think.

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                        Not bad at all! I've had them in a guitar for a decade or so (not anymore/ and as I recall, they were a lot more open sounding and versatile than the actives. That being said, you're missing out big time if you don't give the Black Winter neck a go!
                        I've already tried the BW-N before, and I do love it... but these HZ's are cheaper, lol.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-28-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

I've already tried the BW-N before, and I do love it... but these HZ's are cheaper, lol.
                          I'll admit you have a point there.

Comment

My second guitar, a Jackson copy with a crapy Kahler trem copy, had HZ's in it. I remember them being horrible and sterile. This was back in 91-92 time frame. I eventually swapped the bridge to a DiMarzio X2N. The neck and middle singles I left alone. I'd look for used Duncans or DiMarzios before anything else.

Comment

A few years ago, I had a Japanese Jackson DXMG which came stock with EMG H3's. I remember I swapped them out quicky, but I never got that guitar sounding right. It was super dark-sounding without any bite. Ever since, I tend to stay away from Jackson because I don't like how they place the bridge pickup further away from the bridge itself than ESP, Ibanez, etc. I'm sure it was a sum of all its parts (cheapo floating trem, bridge pickup really far away from the bridge, abnormally heavy basswood body), so I can't really say I liked or disliked the H3's in there, because I never actually liked any pickup in that guitar, LOL.

That's the thing. They tend to put EMG HZ's in cheapie guitars, so you can never really tell if they're good or not because the guitars they're in aren't high-end.

That being said, I do remember old Korean 300 series LTD's being awesome with their H1's. Or at least I thought so back when I was in high school, LOL. But these aren't H1's. I wonder how the H4/H4A set stacks up.

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                              Not my favorites, but I have a lot of experience with HZ bass pickups. They are totally usable and can sound great. I think of them as a clean paintbrush; no character of their own but they are a great tool once you add some color. They are quite responsive to player input and react to effects and amplifier characteristics well.

Not sure if the guitar pickups are the same but that has been my experience with the bass HZs.
                              I have 40HZ's in my old LTD F-205 from back in the day. I wouldn't say they're killer, but like I said, they're clean-sounding, they're not noisy, and they take overdrive well. I completely agree with your assessment. It's not the best-sounding bass I've tried, but it's not a high-end instrument either, so I don't know.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-28-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X