Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a genuine 80’s 59 sd pickup

Told it’s an old 59 with the label missing

resistance is 7.74 ohms, feels like a proper metal baseplate with a wax feel, has a shielded braided wire with black live wire, brought as a set which came with another sd pickup with label
    Attached Files

I've never seen a Duncan without a stamped base plate, but that's not to say they don't exist.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Tally_Ho View Post
      Told it’s an old 59 with the label missing

resistance is 7.74 ohms, feels like a proper metal baseplate with a wax feel, has a shielded braided wire with black live wire, brought as a set which came with another sd pickup with label
      What I can see looks largely like my early SH1's (one of them being partly pictured in my avatar). I have one measuring 7.8k, BTW. Cosmetically, really old ones had an oval sticker and/or a mere paper sticker so the Duncan label was easy to remove... The only obvious difference that I see here with my early 59's is the "black live wire" (with yellow dots in mine) but it's a detail, as is the presence of wax - very first ones weren't potted and if this one has been vaguely potted after its purchase, it can explain why the sticker(s) is/are missing .

So, yes, it looks like an authentic early SH1 to me...
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

freefrog thank you, really appreciate the insight

Comment

Typically, the bobbin tape wraps onto the baseplate on 59s, if it never had a cover. What does the label on the other one look like?

Comment

the other pickup has a white sticker with 59B in red, that one does have bobbin tape wrapped in the baseplate

is there anything internally one can inspect to verify, i.e spacer material used

Comment

I have some 59's from the 1980's that Mj wound. They look like yours. Looking at one right now. The spacer is brown. Looks like plastic. The four brass screws in yours appear recessed but it might just be the way the photograph looks. Mine are not recessed. I don't want to take them apart. The neck measures 7.4K in one set and 7.66K in the other set.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-27-2020, 07:47 PM.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I have some 59's from the 1980's that Mj wound. They look like yours. Looking at one right now. The spacer is brown. Looks like plastic. The four brass screws in yours appear recessed but it might just be the way the photograph looks. Mine are not recessed. I don't want to take them apart. The neck measures 7.4K in one set and 7.66K in the other set.
                its the photo, the screws are not recessed, can see the spacer by shining a light through and looks like it black plastic.
                are your pickups wax potted as well?

Comment

are your pickups wax potted as well?
                  Mine are not.

Comment

Hard to be 100% sure, but I'm leaning toward "not a Duncan" on this one. The crimping marks on the mounting legs don't match up to any of the vintage Duncan's I have owned or currently have on hand, which is a lot.

Just to double check, are the 4 baseplate screws brass? Also, is the magnet somewhat shiny and silver or is it duller and graphite-looking?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      Hard to be 100% sure, but I'm leaning toward "not a Duncan" on this one. The crimping marks on the mounting legs don't match up to any of the vintage Duncan's I have owned or currently have on hand, which is a lot.

Just to double check, are the 4 baseplate screws brass? Also, is the magnet somewhat shiny and silver or is it duller and graphite-looking?
                      the 4 baseplate screws look like brass, and the magnet from looking at the outside is graphite looking and looks smooth and shiny...

Comment

I've uploaded additonal photos which might help

1) there appear to be a notch in the bottom of the plastic bobbin in the side
                        2) close up of brass screws, can see wax residue
                        3) close up of magnet, graphite colour, and looks like a smooth bar

Comment

Magnet looks ceramic to me. Not a 59. Not sure it’s a Duncan even.

Comment

on further inspection, its looks like the length sides and bottom of the magnet is shiny silver.....

thanks guys for your help it has certainly been very helpful lesson....

Comment

on further inspection, its looks like the length sides and bottom of the magnet is shiny silver.....

thanks guys for your help it has certainly been very helpful lesson....
                              Have you removed the magnet? I think it's just an old 59N. Looks just like mine. Should have an alnico 5 magnet. Might be polished or roughcast. Either way the edges will be smooth and polished even if the 1/2" x 2 1/2" surfaces are roughcast. Old 59's (some wound by Mj!) could have either version of the alnico 5 magnet in them. Just stick it in your guitar and enjoy it! Should be a very good sounding pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X