Sell me on the PATB1-N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on the PATB1-N

My Les Paul has an original PATB in the bridge, and I love it. But the 59 I have in the neck seems a little underpowered in comparison. I like using the neck for cleans and using the pickup selector to go over to the bridge for dirty tones. I've tried A2, A4, the original A5, and I landed on RCA3, which seems to fit the 59 best. So please don't suggest a mag swap as the solution to my problem. It's not. If I go to the PATB1 neck, will I be able to keep it clean while matching output with the bridge model? And what's the overall voicing like? Is there a better answer?

The PATB-1 should keep your dynamics in tact here, although it isn't hugely more powerful than the 59. Certainly, it isn't a transformative difference in volume.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, I know you said no mag swaps...but I really would try a ceramic mag in there before buying a new pickup.

The PATB-1n won't give you much push compared to a '59n; it will just give you a bit more clarity.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

It should be noticeably louder than your A3-loaded 59N though. I like the tone of A3 but they do usually reduce the output a bit.

I love the PATB-1N. Mine's' paired with a PATB-3 at the bridge.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Roughcast A3 is my favorite magnet in a 59N. I'd leave it.

Use your bridge pickup for your overdriven tones and your neck pickup for clean tones.

Sounds like that's what you're already doing.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Maybe you've just got a tonal, rather than volume, imbalance. The typical neck pickup strength of the 59 matches volume wise even with hot pickups just fine for the most part. The PATB's are pretty.....wide....in that they seem to have a really even frequency response and sound bigger than what they are. Maybe the 59 is just not cutting it all the way through.

Comment

Working...
            X