No announcement yet.

I need a bridge pick up to match a SD P90 in my tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcaster and JD can't keep up with Vintage P-90. Out of the two, you can raise JD optimally with less magnetic pull though. But still Vintage P-90 is too hot for most vintage sounding tele pickups. Lower it, and you'll lose the sweet spot. Output wise, Hot for Tele and QP are the better matches. You'd feel slight imbalance from the former but you can still coax vintagey sounding from it. QP obviously is the opposite of vintage tele sound, unless you get the tapped version for that pseudo vintage sound. Tele pickup and P-90 is my favorite set. In this scenario, I'd pair Vintage P-90 with Hot for Tele. But if I started from zero, I'd go with JD and Antiquity P-90. For this set up, lower output P-90 is the key.

Comment

^ Yeah, I've always gone for the Gibson 70's type mini humbucker if I want a fatter neck pickup with a vintage tele.....its a bit more polite, and its tone is more in keeping with the tele bridge pickup.

Comment

Another option is something like a Pickup Booster pedal when you use the bridge pickup. If volume balance is the goal, we sort of run into a wall when mixing a few very different pickups. Many people are OK with the imbalance, some are not.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the feedback. Next week I will try to lower the P90 a bit to see how it compesates with the stock bridge pickup. I was reading in some forum and apparently the stock pickup is quite hot, like 10k and it uses ceramic magnets. So I was wondering, can a SD broadcasger pickup sound hotter because of the coild winding? Maybe I messing things so sorry about that.

Right now I am hesitating between the Hot for tele, the Special T and the Flat 50. I know that there are some great manufacturers in the US, but if they don't sell in the EU it's going to be complicated for me to get them.

Comment

Well, the Hot Tele pickup is a good balance choice, but it is pretty thick sounding, so it starts to lose the inherent Tele-ness. It is certainly a balancing act between power/balance, and tone.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X