SD 78 vs. Suhr Thornbucker bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post

I was about to, but I went for the DSV. I had read (even expressed by Mr. Suhr himself) that the "DS" series has less mids and a warmer sound than the "SS" series, so I went with that one. Perhaps the fact that the SSV is unbalanced would have actually gotten what I wanted a letter better, now that I understand them more. However, all recommendations (including from Suhr customer service) were that the Thornbucker would do what I want better than the SSV, even if similar.

My Thornbucker arrived yesterday, and so far I like it.

Edit: with all of that said, I still do not exclude the fact that the SSV could possibly do what I want even better, despite all of the conflicting advice!
    might be worth a try trying the SSV in the bridge as well, since you already have one i think you could just swap it to see?

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
      I guess "mids" is actually not specific enough a term. I found the mids in the SSV+ to be too "honky;" nasal, upper-mids. These mids are actually really good for sound projecting and cutting through, just not what I was looking for.

I find the mids in the Thornbucker to be more low-mids (like what are accentuated with a closed wah pedal- not that is sounds like a closed wah, but those frequencies are stronger). I also find the Thornbucker to give me the bell-like resonance more readily than all of the other Suhr pickups I've tried. In that regard, the fact that people describe it as more of a 'single coil" response is what does it. As mentioned, single-coils naturally pick up that bell-like resonance.
      OK. Thanks for explaning. When you said "nasal, honky mids", I understand that to mean an excess of low and mid-mids, like the mids from the Thornbucker bridge. I hear the SSV+ as being a bit crisper and cutting. It really depends how you define the words, so its possible that we agree about how these two pickups sound.

Comment

Working...
      X