banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Seymour Duncan Pickups...Is this the most versatile guitar of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brent has some serious chops. For what he does, that guitar is as versatile as it gets. He certainly gets a lot of different sounds out of it.

My most versatile guitar has two humbuckers and a 5-way superswitch that splits the humbuckers in 2 and 4. Well, my Les Paul also splits both humbuckers but via push/pulls on the volume controls so that has the slight edge with the ability to have a few more combinations. But at the same time, I can pull off what I need to with my HH Frankenstrat and a single volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Not at all.

HSS or HSH with coil taps would be the thing, hot bridge bucker and vintage stuff in middle and neck
      OK. I'll tell Brent he's got it all wrong next time I see him.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

brent played on tons of other sessions besides country. its not like he doesnt own a les paul, a strat, a baritone, a 335, and sg etc... but this guitar did get a ton of use over the years

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          brent played on tons of other sessions besides country. its not like he doesnt own a les paul, a strat, a baritone, a 335, and sg etc... but this guitar did get a ton of use over the years
          That's right. Best way for a Tele player to sound like he's playing a Les Paul is to put the Tele away and play his Les Paul instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

My most versatile guitar has two humbuckers and a 5-way superswitch that splits the humbuckers in 2 and 4.
            I like the way you think.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I like the way you think.
              It certainly helps when the pickups work great when split (WLH neck and PB bridge). The PB is about to be swapped out for Custom Custom. I need my Les Paul and this Strat (the Tao Turquoise one) to be configured as close as possible. If I were to change the neck pickup, I'd probably put a A2P bridge model there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Brent's guitar is heard on more recordings and #1 sellers than anything you own...that's for sure. Maybe heard on more hits than any guitar in history.

Not a clank to be heard:

Twins playing (nearly) twin Teles?
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

OK. I'll tell Brent he's got it all wrong next time I see him.
                  I'm not sure he WAS aiming for all-genre versatility, whoever he is... OP talked versatility and this ain't it.

Might work fine for his thing, but doesn't look all that universal

PS sure is one hideous telly, though. Memorably so
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Not a lot of love for country music here. Listen to Brent and his Tele tear it up on this Alan Jackson tune. Great tone. Great playing. I'm a blues player mostly but truth be told until the Rolling Stones and the Beatles showed up around 1963 country music was what we listened to around my house.

Comment

The interesting thing for me on his pickup choices is that he has a Vintage Stack bridge and a Hot Stack middle. It must be because he usually just rolls that middle in as opposed to going full bore.

It’s interesting how many players I enjoy are getting signature instruments the past few years. Then again, maybe that means I’m 40. Lol I’m sure the Clapton fans of the era were about my age when he got his signature Strat, then Martin.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        The interesting thing for me on his pickup choices is that he has a Vintage Stack bridge and a Hot Stack middle. It must be because he usually just rolls that middle in as opposed to going full bore.

It’s interesting how many players I enjoy are getting signature instruments the past few years. Then again, maybe that means I’m 40. Lol I’m sure the Clapton fans of the era were about my age when he got his signature Strat, then Martin.
                        Exactly. It's not connected to the selector switch. To use it he has to blend it in with the third knob.

You know that opening lick on that Alan Jackson tune I just posted has almost as many demos of how to play it on Youtube as Eruption.

Well...that's a bit of an exageration but it's a super cool lick.

And Brent's tone is so round!

He likes to record with amps. Doesn't like going direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

I'm not sure he WAS aiming for all-genre versatility, whoever he is... OP talked versatility and this ain't it.

Might work fine for his thing, but doesn't look all that universal

PS sure is one hideous telly, though. Memorably so
                          the tele was painted that way when he got it. as far as versatility, almost any rootsy music can be covered by this. not a metal or hard rock machine but damn near anything else

Comment

Not a lot of love for country music here. Listen to Brent and his Tele tear it up on this Alan Jackson tune. Great tone. Great playing. I'm a blues player mostly but truth be told until the Rolling Stones and the Beatles showed up around 1963 country music was what we listened to around my house.
                            I like country and played it prefessionally for 10 years. It's not my #1 favorite, and if I didn't get work with it, I'd probably only tinker with a few famous licks and not play many songs. But I like to listen to it now and again just fine.

Comment

I really liked the signature PRS he had before this. It had the HSH setup similar to what the modern eagle V has, but maple bolt on neck and 25.25” scale. The 408/ Paul’s pickups are supposed to split really well for single coil sounds.

Those B benders always seem too complex for what they do. I would rather have the floating PRS trem that can make all the strings bend up or down.

Comment

the prs is a cool guitar but the tele is the one he played on a 1000 hits

Comment

Working...
                                X