banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a change Any suggestions for my les Paul’s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of the Sentient as having more, tighter bass than the Jazz, and slightly less treble, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another vote for the WLH set. As I have said in the past they make a Les Paul sound like you expect a Les Paul to sound like. They are very versatile I have used them for everything from Jazz/Blues to Post-hardcore Metal.

Comment

Bridge: Custom 5, distortion or JB will carry classic rock into metal.

Neck: More flexible, I think Phat Cat like others suggested sounds cool. I might even look at a Dimarzio Bluesbucker.

Comment

And from left field, go with the Distortion set. Put a series/parallel on the neck pickup if you have to.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
            I am really wanting to try the 59 Hybrid bridge and a Sentient in the neck. I like the Sentient but I don't see it getting much love around here. Maybe I am just too new to this forum and missed its initial hype and folks have slipped back to the more traditional stuff?

Maybe I am the token metal guy?
            The Sentient is a fabulous neck pickup! I've got one (paired with a Nazgul in the bridge) in a Schecter and it's everything you could ask for in a neck pup: tight and articulate without being shrill, well-balanced, can be liquid when you need it to be, and fully capable of keeping up with the highest of high-gain bridge pups.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeythebear View Post
              So I got a les paul classic gold top I wanna keep in e standard and play rock and classic rock on and I got a les Paul custom zakk wylde (refinished) that has no pickups ... it gonna tune it to Eb to play 90s rock and some metal ... I thought maybe a 59 set for the classic .... JB for the bridge of the custom not sure on a neck pickup yet ... I also toyed with the idea of an emg 57 for the bridge .... I’m kind of new to pickups and I’m not 100% what to get
              If it was me...
              Classic gets 59 or Sat night special set.
              Zakk gets a JB with a Jazz neck , or an Alnico 2 for the more 'slash' sounding neck leads.
              Playing:
              Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
              Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
              Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
              Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Another vote for the WLH set. As I have said in the past they make a Les Paul sound like you expect a Les Paul to sound like. They are very versatile I have used them for everything from Jazz/Blues to Post-hardcore Metal.
                Agreed. Love my WLH set for classic rock in my LP and do recommend it; but have also heard good things about Jazz neck and Custom bridge too.

Comment

I like the sound of the alnico 2 for the slash leads
                  so far my gold top I got a 59 neck humbucker and a slash sig bridge ... in the process of getting my hands on a JB for the custom ... and the neck is still up for grabs .... thanks for all the helps guys these are great eye opening suggestions

Comment

I'm gonna say for the LP Custom - especially tuning down - you'll want something tight and fairly bright at the neck.
                    Jazz neck is the classic pairing for a JB but I'd take a look at the Full Shred neck, too.

The Phat Cat is a great idea as well. I love P90 neck tone.
                    One thing though: bear in mind that that it isn't humbucking.
                    For high gain playing that's a consideration.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

So I ended up putting the jb in and the 59 in the les Paul custom cause I dropped the jazz and it broke

Comment

It broke? How? What broke?

Comment

The thing the screw goes through it bent inwards and snapped off I dropped it I had no idea they were so delicate

Comment

Oh, the baseplate...actually, I could see that happening if you drop it. You can just get a new one and transfer the coils to the new baseplate.

Comment

Where do I get them and how do you transfer

Comment

Custom/Jazz.
                                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                                X