Pearly Gates Plus vs 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    The PG+ was voiced for the bridge position of a Fender Lonestar Strat. Wasn't designed for Les Pauls, although it might sound fine in one.
    It's still a PAF voiced pickup. It does sound fine in my LP. Output wise, it sits between '59 and WLH. Personally I prefer it than both of them. It opens up inherently warming sounding LP with its raunchiness and edginess. And it has adequate low end compared to regular PG.

Now if the OP wants boosted '59, WLH would be a better option than regular PG with A5.

Comment

The PG+ has a lot of fans out there. To me, I think the 59/Custom Hybrid does the same thing better, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
        It's still a PAF voiced pickup. It does sound fine in my LP. Output wise, it sits between '59 and WLH. Personally I prefer it than both of them. It opens up inherently warming sounding LP with its raunchiness and edginess. And it has adequate low end compared to regular PG.

Now if the OP wants boosted '59, WLH would be a better option than regular PG with A5.
        I want a boosted, louder Pearly Gates. I love the extra clarity the PG gives off compared to the 59...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_Snow View Post

I want a boosted, louder Pearly Gates.
          Ahem . . .

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pickup_Booster.png Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	6026892

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_Snow View Post
            I want a boosted, louder Pearly Gates.
            Double thick magnet.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 11-05-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Nothing stratty about a PG or PG+ to me, other than that the PG+ was stock in the old lonestars.
              It works well in a strat.

Not a bad pickup, but I prefer the 59 a bit. Even thought that can come off a little too scooped for me in some guitars.
              A3 loaded 59 (80's MJ wound) is my favorite 59 right now, bridge of my DGT and matched with a new Jazz neck it's great in that guitar.
              Playing:
              Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
              Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
              Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
              Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
                Nothing stratty about a PG or PG+ to me.
                Except it sounds like a strat pickup in humbucker form.

Comment

as ive said before, you and i hear things very differently. the pg doesnt sound like a strat pup and neither does the pg+ regardless of what guitar its in.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    as ive said before, you and i hear things very differently. the pg doesnt sound like a strat pup and neither does the pg+ regardless of what guitar its in.
                    Jeremy's right. Other than that they are each guitar pickups attempting to reproduce the sound of a guitar's steel strings, no full size, humbucking pickup based on Gibson's original design sounds like a single coil Fender style Strat pickup.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

That would be like if you guys told Seymour: 'the JB Jr doesn't sound like a JB, don't know what you're talking about.' Seymour: 'no duh jeremy. Its tone character (or to misuse the word - voicing) is borrowed from the real thing and put into a pickup with a different construction.'

Do you think I don't know that pickups built with broad construction differences won't sound identical? I'm talking about the TONE CHARACTER. What pickup exactly do you think the Pearly Gates borrows from to get its wet, scooped, jangly tone character? It's not a PAF! PAFs are dry and middy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        That would be like if you guys told Seymour: 'the JB Jr doesn't sound like a JB, don't know what you're talking about.' Seymour: 'no duh jeremy. Its tone character (or to misuse the word - voicing) is borrowed from the real thing and put into a pickup with a different construction.'

Do you think I don't know that pickups built with broad construction differences won't sound identical? I'm talking about the TONE CHARACTER. What pickup exactly do you think the Pearly Gates borrows from to get its wet, scooped, jangly tone character? It's not a PAF! PAFs are dry and middy.
                        How many actual PAF's from the 1950's have you actually owned? I've owned at least a dozen in 50's Les Pauls, ES-335s and ES-355s.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-05-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I doubt the Pearly Gates is voiced like any of them.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 11-05-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I doubt any of them sound like Pearly Gates.
                            So you have no actual experience with real PAFs from the 1950's?

Comment

No, why do I need to own a real PAF to say that the Pearly Gates is voiced similarly to a strat pickup?

Comment

No, why do I need to own a real PAF to say that the Pearly Gates is voiced similarly to a strat pickup?
                                OK. It's obvious you don't know what your talking about so there's no point in continuing.

Comment

Working...
                                X