Can we talk about the Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    That's not really my "flavor" of axe . . . but that is sweet. Nice.

The cream and black really works.

Comment

This thread made me get out my three Les Pauls with the Custom, CC, and C5 in them.

Comment

It is the first SD pick I used many years ago and, even though I don't use it currently, I still like it. I've tried every variation of the Custom, even putting a big ceramic in one and also using JB coils to create a JB/Custom hybrid in another. All of this and my favorite version is the stock SH-5. For rock, hard rock and metal rhythm it is hard to beat. Power chords are huge and palm mutes are tight and percussive. It doesn't have the best lead tone, doesn't sing like the JB, but it is still very good in that area. Clean tones are just okay, but most ceramics struggle in that area and I'd argue that if you are mainly playing clean you're probably looking at the wrong pick up anyway =D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
          It is the first SD pick I used many years ago and, even though I don't use it currently, I still like it. I've tried every variation of the Custom, even putting a big ceramic in one and also using JB coils to create a JB/Custom hybrid in another. All of this and my favorite version is the stock SH-5. For rock, hard rock and metal rhythm it is hard to beat. Power chords are huge and palm mutes are tight and percussive. It doesn't have the best lead tone, doesn't sing like the JB, but it is still very good in that area. Clean tones are just okay, but most ceramics struggle in that area and I'd argue that if you are mainly playing clean you're probably looking at the wrong pick up anyway =D.
          How did you like the JB/Custom? I’ve been thinking of trying that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

How did you like the JB/Custom? I’ve been thinking of trying that too.
            I think it was just okay. I kind of felt like I didn't get the best from either pick up when I did it. Meaning the Custom's chunk and JB's singing leads. It was a long time ago so I don't remember which coils from which or which magnet I used. I also remember there being some weird overtones and just overall sound that didn't agree with me. I'd rather use either a JB by itself or a Custom by itself.

Comment

Working...
            X