Why is there no underwound JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reee View Post
    It's such a popular pickup yet many of us want just a little less output, why is there no 15k 43awg pickup out yet that has the JB EQ, chewiness and aggressiveness?
    If this is so important to you why not buy a new JB and unwind a few hundred turns of wire on each coil and put it back together?

If it's still too strong for you after that do it again until you get the sound you want.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

i want a 15k, not a 12k JB!!
      Ok - let me work with you:

Do you want a different RESONANT PEAK - or Lower Output?

They are NOT the same thing necessarily....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

sure, but the idea is taking the general EQ, chewiness and aggressiveness of the JB and giving it more clarity and dynamics, using the JB tone as a starting point, NOT the JB specs, only the sound.
        This is what 7-8 people on here have been trying to tell you. You said you are going by the sound not specs yet you’ve insisted you have to have 15k of 43awg, which are just specs. The way you’re going about it will not get the sound. If your theory were true, my 14.74k 43awg Custom 5 would sound just like a lower output JB. But doesn’t sound anything like a JB at all.

You think 15k of 43awg will get you a lower output JB sound, but it won’t. Multiple factors that make that sound are changing using less wire. Less wire is not just turning the volume down, it’s changing it into a different pickup.

This is why you would have to tell an experienced winder what sound you want and output level and they’ll know what specific adjustments to make to get that result; and it may not have any of the specs you might have expected but will get the sound and output level.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using dcr as a metric. It's how much wire is used. Less wire equals less compression.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 11-07-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            There's nothing wrong with using dcr as a metric. It's how much wire is used. Less wire equals less compression.
            But it does not equal a predictable sound based on that metric. For example, because of the even eq, my A4 59 neck sounds louder than my A5 59 neck but on paper it should not, if DCR alone indicated output, because they have the same DCR.
            Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-07-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Right. I still don't think it's presumptuous to ask for a 15k JB or a JB wound to capacity with 43 gauge. The customer is entitled to ask for whatever they want. The results would be somewhat predictable, assuming the custom shop did what was asked for. I don't think it would be possible to keep the wind recipe the same and put less wire on the bobbins but have output and compression go up.

Comment

Sure, a customer can ask for what they want. But to get the most out of a Custom Shop order, I think the best way is to describe what sound you want and let them do the calculations. They can probably think of many ways to get there, too, and in the end, you will be happier.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So the real issue is that someone wants a custom pickup built to their specs but doesn't want to pay a premium for a custom wound pickup or deal with the wait time or shipping costs.

Comment

Another option is practice unwinding on a cheap pickup. It isn't easy (that wire is tiny), but it is possible. When you are ready, just buy a used JB.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

But it does not equal a predictable sound based on that metric. For example, because of the even eq, my A4 59 neck sounds louder than my A5 59 neck but on paper it should not, if DCR alone indicated output, because they have the same DCR.
                      Exactly.

While there is a moderate to strong relationship between the two, it is by no means a rule. There are definitely quite a lot of very obvious exceptions.

The non-adherence to DCR vs Output is very well known by anyone who has been here and paying attention in any way at all, or has actually played enough pickups.

The wire, the winds, the type of wind, the magnet...it all interacts in complex ways to create what you hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Sure, a customer can ask for what they want. But to get the most out of a Custom Shop order, I think the best way is to describe what sound you want and let them do the calculations. They can probably think of many ways to get there, too, and in the end, you will be happier.
                        What I just said - just like 'How do I get the VH tone?"

I have seen/heard it done spot on a dozen different ways. Depending on the route and your situation, one or the other may be better/easier/more possible for you. I would Defer to MJ on these matters explicitly.

As I said - if you can do it better, get a winding machine and do it, or apply for a job at SD, DMZ, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          Right. I still don't think it's presumptuous to ask for a 15k JB or a JB wound to capacity with 43 gauge. The customer is entitled to ask for whatever they want. The results would be somewhat predictable, assuming the custom shop did what was asked for. I don't think it would be possible to keep the wind recipe the same and put less wire on the bobbins but have output and compression go up.
                          a 15k jb, same everything but less turns, is fairly predictable. anything with #43 wire isnt a jb. even if you used the same wind pattern, the wire will lay differently and the coil geometry will be different.

Comment

I think the best place to start here is to put a weaker magnet in a stock JB. Keeps everything the same except the magnetic strength. Similar e.q. – lower output.

Quickest way to do this without buying anything is to remove the stock A5 and give it a pass over a stronger, opposing magnet – e.g. a ceramic magnet. Try it out. Repeat as many times as is necessary.

IME, removing windings alters the e.q. of a pickup more so than does using a different magnet. In particular with high output pickups like the JB, I have been dismayed with how little I was able to decongest the low-middy e.q. by switching to weaker magnets. It did, however, lower the sensitivity/output a notable amount.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-08-2020, 11:17 AM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

a3 in a jb would be sweet

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                a 15k jb, same everything but less turns, is fairly predictable. anything with #43 wire isnt a jb. even if you used the same wind pattern, the wire will lay differently and the coil geometry will be different.
                                Maybe the custom shop just sux.

Comment

Working...
                                X