No announcement yet.

The Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up a set of Detonators on Reverb. I'll be installing them in a Viper project.

Comment

I've never been more surprised by anything more than the Invader. I avoided it for decades because I expected some over-the-top fuzzy thick sludgefest of a pickup. I was looking for something new to mess around with and saw a Duncan Custom Shop Invader pop up on Ebay. White with chrome pole pieces. Thought it looked cool and got it for an absolute steal, I guess since it was such a one-off oddball.
      It isn't anything I expected. If you combined the best quality of the 59 bridge and Screaming Demon, dialed back the highs to a reasonable level, and added a touch more low end and more balanced mids, that is what it sounds like. I know everyone says that the Custom-5 is the big brother to the 59 bridge, but I think my Invader fits that bill much better.
      What I can't guarantee is that my custom shop version sounds like the regular Invader, because I have never played one.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
        I just picked up a set of Detonators on Reverb. I'll be installing them in a Viper project.
        That should be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That should be sweet.
          Yeah, can't wait!

My other Viper has a DiMarzio X2N and a D Activator. Perfect match. Both pickups work really well together. I think I've swapped out like 5 different pickups for the neck before keeping the D Activator. This guitar isn't going to be changing. Orginally it had EMG 81/85.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 11-14-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Invader is another of those models that needs to be backed down far away from the strings. Many who have tried it had it too close I bet.
            IMO it's better in guitars that are on the tight and bright side,,,,definitely not for dark or mid-stuffy/congested guitars.
            Also it's better with smaller or medium strings tuned in the E-D range,,,,,not huge beefy strings tuned very low, although Karl Sanders would disagree on that.
            Karl always wired his raw, straight to the output jack to add some clarity and bite back in.

I do believe the custom tb-8 and Gates invaders sound better than the stock sh-8 versions, but I'm not really sure why, nor have I done any controlled comparison.

Comment

Working...
            X