No announcement yet.

The JB Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone here confirm that the JB and Distortion are the same coil winds? The only difference is the magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

JB in the neck? Interesting.
      The dynamic range is shockingly good. I can still go from clean to heavy distortion by adjusting volume knob and picking strength just like a weaker pickup. It's a bit hot for clean tones unless you roll the volume down, but for distortion it's unbeatable! It sounds like a neck pickup but the sustain is unreal, and there's pick attack coming thru and thanks to the harsh EQ profile my lead lines sound super crisp and clear. Is it perfect? Nah, would probly be a better neck pickup if it was wound just a bit cooler, but it works for my tastes until I can get a custom made.

Eventually when I have cash I'm going to have a custom shop set made. JB bridge with 12 hex pieces just like a full shred. and a "JB Neck" wound to 13.5k also with 12 hex pieces, all in a flat black finish. no logos.

and, I may get a custom single coil for the middle. hot but noiseless, and with black pole pieces that sit flush with the flat black cover
      Last edited by BeKindRewind; 11-20-2020, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
        The JB was the first Duncan I ever owned. I was a diehard DiMarzio fan from 1990 unit 1996. I purchase the JB in 96, because Warren DiMartini and Jerry Cantrell both used it. I was using the Tone Zone at the time. I can still remember thinking that I had just hit tonal heaven when I blasted the JB through my ADA MP-1. While I have moved on to many other pickups though-out the years, the JB remains one of my favorites.
        Pm’ed you over on the Splawn board.
        I’m in need of your expertise!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_Snow View Post
          Can anyone here confirm that the JB and Distortion are the same coil winds? The only difference is the magnet?
          This has never been confirmed officially.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

FWIW guys on here that have tried swapping magnets to try to make one out of the other posted on here that they noticed a difference, though they were close. Swapping a magnet didn't quite work.
            Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-20-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I may very well be the one who started that. But I didn't "start" it, so much as relay the info from an mIRC chat. It was a long time ago that Duncan had an mIRC channel. One night, there were only 3 or 4 of us in there. Me, Evan Skopp, a female Duncan employee, and I believe one other person from the forum. The female stated that the coils came off the same winder run. One group went to be JB's, and the other group went on to be Distortion's. She later admitted to getting into hot water over that comment. What wasn't made clear, was if she was in hot water because it wasn't true, or for revealing a company secret. Somewhere around here, I have the screen shot of that chat.

Comment

No, they're different coils. It's easy to hear if you spend time with an A5 in the Distortion. Getting rid of the ceramic in the DD doesn't gain back the organicness of the JB, it retains the overall modern sound. Also if you look at the eq, an A5 DD has rounder bass, more true highs, and no mid clog even though it is middy.

Comment

I would rock a JB for a killer Humbucker loaded Blues Rock pickup in a second.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Did Neil Schon use one?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I installed my first JB yesterday and had several sessions with the amp cranked. Looking forward to appreciating it!
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                      X