The Mighty Parallel Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mighty Parallel Axis

The Washburn N4 that I picked up last month is an absolutely phenomenal guitar. It plays like butter, and feels great in the hands. I am, however; not a fan of the L500 series of pickups. When I hear other people playing them, they sound great. To me, there is just way too much twang going on.

After several pickup swaps, I finally decided to install a PATB-1b. Now the guitar sounds as good as it plays. I have been a big fan of the Parallel Axis series for a long time. This just confirms to me what great pickups they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SFW; 11-17-2020, 05:24 PM.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

We have quite a bit PA fans on this forum. I haven't taken the time to explore them yet, but I am guessing I will soon.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do it. They are currently my favorite Duncan pup set. I have a 2nd set to go into an Agile LP that my luthier friend is setting up for me. I'll do the PATB-3b in that one. Can't wait. I've had the Blues Saraceno in there before, and miss it.

(Not in that specific LP, but another.)

P.S. Nice licks.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-17-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

That Splawn sounds incredible. And I agree - you have found the ‘right’ bridge pickup for that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
          That Splawn sounds incredible. And I agree - you have found the ‘right’ bridge pickup for that guitar.
          Thanks! It's a 2005. I played a 2018 the other day, and was surprised how different the new circuit sounds. While it did have a much improved clean channel, the gain channel just wasn't as in your face.

As far as PATBs go, I have the PATB-1b and 1n in my Charvel ProMod San Dimas. I also have the PATB-3. Also a great pickup. If I were in a cover band and needed to cover a lot of ground, the PATB-3 would be my goto bridge pickup. I am debating a PATB-1n for the N4, but the 59n sounds so good, I kinda want to leave it alone.

Comment

So, compare a Parallel Axis to a more 'standard' vintage humbucker. What are the advantages?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              So, compare a Parallel Axis to a more 'standard' vintage humbucker. What are the advantages?
              I’ll compare the PATB-1b to the JB- as just about everyone has at least played a JB. The PATB is more balanced across the EQ spectrum. The mids are still there and up front, but they don't have the upper mid range spike of the JB. The bottom end is punchy, but remains tight. It will bring the chug without falling apart in the lows. It is also has some of the best string to string note separation of any Duncan pickup I have ever tried. And I've gone through a lot of Duncan pickups. You can play a complex chord with high gain and hear all of the notes in the chord. IMHO, this is the perfect hard rock to fusion pickup. You could play metal with is as well. I play in a hard rock band that has metal tendencies. Lol.

The PATB-3 is the 59 that every rock player wants. It is ever so slightly hotter than the 59, but is still rooted in the family. It is muscular and has a growl to the lower mids when high gain is used. The lows are big, but firm. The highs are present without cutting your head off. The mids are voice is a spot that is very pleasing to the ear. This is a great all around pickup.

The PATB-1n is its own thing. There are some traits of the 59n, but the highs are more glassy like a single coil. It really sounds like a big fat single coil if you play it just right. Clean tones are warm without sounding bloated. High gain leads simple sing.

All of the PATB series pickups that I have had split extremely well. I have a 5-way super switch in my Charvel. I have it wired for full bridge humbucker / bridge and neck inner coils / bridge and neck humbucker / neck outer coil / full neck humbucker. I can cover so much tonal ground with this setup.

I have not played the PATB-2. I have never needed a pickups with that much output. Lol. That said, I'm sure one day curiosity will get the better of me and I'll give one a spin.

The PATB line are some of the most overlooked pickups on the market. Maybe it’s the look. I personally like it, but I could see where some people wouldn't care for it. Anyway... hope that helps.

Last edited by SFW; 11-17-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post

I'll compare the PATB-1b to the JB- as just about everyone has at least played a JB. The PATB is more balanced across the EQ spectrum. The mids are still there and up front, but they don't have the upper mid range spike of the JB. The bottom end is punchy, but remains tight. It will bring the chug without falling apart in the lows. It is also has some of the best string to string note separation of any Duncan pickup I have ever tried. And I've gone through a lot of Duncan pickups. You can play a complex chord with high gain and hear all of the notes in the chord. IMHO, this is the perfect hard rock to fusion pickup. You could play metal with is as well. I play in a hard rock band that has metal tendencies. Lol.

The PATB-3 is the 59 that every rock player wants. It is ever so slightly hotter than the 59, but is still rooted in the family. It is muscular and has a growl to the lower mids when high gain is used. The lows are big, but firm. The highs are present without cutting your head off. The mids are voice is a spot that is very pleasing to the ear. This is a great all around pickup.

The PATB-1n is its own thing. There are some traits of the 59n, but the highs are more glassy like a single coil. It really sounds like a big fat single coil if you play it just right. Clean tones are warm without sounding bloated. High gain leads simple sing.

All of the PATB series pickups that I have had split extremely well. I have a 5-way super switch in my Charvel. I have it wired for full bridge humbucker / bridge and neck inner coils / bridge and neck humbucker / neck outer coil / full neck humbucker. I can cover so much tonal ground with this setup.

I have not played the PATB-2. I have never needed a pickups with that much output. Lol. That said, I'm sure one day curiosity will get the better of me and I'll give one a spin.

The PATB line are some of the most overlooked pickups on the market. Maybe it’s the look. I personally like it, but I could see where some people wouldn't care for it. Anyway... hope that helps.

I couldn't have said it better. We often talk about a 59n being muddy, or a JB/Screamin' Demon being too bright. Or a C5 being too mid scooped. The PATB's deserve the "evenly voiced harmonics" moniker. Not too much of this, and not too little of that. Just perfectly balanced frequency response. But that's not to say that they lack character. They definitely have their own thing going on. If I wanted a pup, to use with a graphic EQ and/or compressor, to mimic other pups, the PATB-1's would be my foundation.

I'm pretty much with SFW on the PATB-3, except that I might characterize is it more like an "adult" Pearly. 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other. I've got the PATB-1/3 waiting to go into an LP.

I too, haven't tried the PATB-2. But it's sitting here on the shelf. Hmmm . . .

Comment

How are the clean tones of the different Parallel Axis pickups?

Comment

I would say that "clean" is where the PATB-1's shine. If it was an amp, it would be a Blackface. The PATB-3 has a bit of snarl to it. In a good way. Keep in mind, I only play at home studio volume. Dialed up, they may take on a different character.

Comment

I really really need to try one of these...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        I would say that "clean" is where the PATB-1's shine. If it was an amp, it would be a Blackface. The PATB-3 has a bit of snarl to it. In a good way. Keep in mind, I only play at home studio volume. Dialed up, they may take on a different character.
                        Good to hear. Now I absolutely have to try. I've tried all of them, but not in a guitar I knew very well, and they were already installed, so I don't know what those guitars sounded like with stock pickups.

Comment

Sounds like something that I would like. If I ever get a single pu Super Strat with a Floyd.
                          Until then...

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll chime in to say I'm a huge fan. The only reason I pulled the PATB-1b from my Les Paul is because I was trying to go slightly lower output, although the parallel axis pickups, in my experience, clean up phenomenally with the volume knob.

Comment

I love the Parallel Axis pickups that I have tried so far. They are easily my favorite humbuckers from Seymour Duncan (and there are lots of good ones these nudge out). I have a Jackson Stars Soloist loaded with a PATB-2b/PATB-1n, a Jackson Stars Kelly with a PATB-1b/n set, and a GJ2 Arete with a PATB-1b (along with the stock Habanero neck pickup). I have not been disappointed with any of these pickups. They have a certain complexity that I haven't heard in other guitars. The PATB-2b is super middy, but it rocks hard! It definitely isn't as versatile as the PATB-1b, but still does a cool thing. The PATB-1n is awesome. What I hear is a mix of the best attributes of the '59 and Jazz in pickup, plus that complex sound.

I haven't thought about trying the PATB-3b, but I might need to find a guitar to try one in. I also haven't tried the stacked single coil... I am curious about it too. Has anyone tried the stacked single coil?

Cole
                              Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Working...
                              X