banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge humbucker for Ibanez - rails or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge humbucker for Ibanez - rails or not?

I plan to buy a bridge humbucker for my Ibanez RGRT-421 and replace sh*tty stock Quantum pup.
    It has neck-through construction with fixed bridge.
    It's the nyatoh wing body, and neck is mapple/walnut (Wizard III).
    5-position switch can drive the one half of bridge hummbucker so it acts like sigle-coil, but I don't use that so much.

I'm playing metal the most of the time (old-school death and black), but I often find myself jamming some RnR, blues and psychodelic rock with firends, so some kind of versatility and warmth is a big plus.

My first two ideas are:
    - SD Jupiter and
    - SD SH-13 (Dimebucker).

I expect the first to be more versatile.
    I'd really like to hear your opinions and recommendations

I Once Owned an RGT-32 when they first came out.....I swapped everything from SD/Duncan an couldnt find a proper pup....
    Threw the Stock pup back in an OHMY why did I touch it in the first place!?!?!?!??

whats your issue with the Stock pup?

Comment

I have a Dimbucker in my Iceman and will never replace it. It splits very nicely if you would like to play some classic stuff. Even unsplit the pickup pushes a tube amp into classic rock territory quickly. When it comes to metal it will melt your face off. It pairs nicely with the Jazz neck.

Comment

Originally posted by LuredMaul View Post
        whats your issue with the Stock pup?
        It sounds very shallow. It's something like some frequencies are missing when I'm playing on lower strings and/or chugging...
        Ant that's not my opinion only. The other players that tried it told me about poor pup tone without any suggestions from my side.

Comment

DIMEBUCKER bro

Comment

I'd say Black Winter. It will be great for the metal you like, plus a whole lot of other things. It is probably the most versatile pickup that is marketed as a 'metal' pickup.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Mincer for new interesting suggestion.

Reading reviews and listening famous youtubers playing on expensive gear, I figured out what kind of tone I dislike, which is important, too.
              Well, I really don't like progressive metal and djent kind of tone and don't listen that.

With that in mind, maybe the Black Winter is better choice than Dimebucker.

This opinion triggered me to think about what I dislike:
              ...Through my 6505, they [Black Winter] are straight-up brutal, nasty (in a good way), grindy goodness. I don't dial-in a djenty tone at all though, and I'm not sure they're ideal for that genre or anything dabbling in that genre. I feel that the Nazgul or D Activator would be better for that. Black Winters have a fair amount of bass and upper mids rather than the "djent" mids spike at 1.6 khz. They are better for more traditional death metal riffing as well as thick, heavy black metal tones or thrash.

Comment

Originally posted by kuga View Post
                I plan to buy a bridge humbucker for my Ibanez RGRT-421 and replace sh*tty stock Quantum pup.
                That baby just screams for my El Diablo / Ric Bass-mod combo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_Diablo.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	6033040

(People will get tired of me posting this.)

Comment

With that in mind, maybe the Black Winter is better choice than Dimebucker.
                  Both are great pickups. He is a review I wrote about the Black Winter not being a "One Trick Pony"

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Both are great pickups. He is a review I wrote about the Black Winter not being a "One Trick Pony"

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2013/55930/gui...one-trick-pony
                    Your blog would be a lot easier to read if they didn't always have that dang "The Cosplay of Anna Faith" article right beside it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That baby just screams for my El Diablo / Ric Bass-mod combo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_Diablo.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	6033040

(People will get tired of me posting this.)
                      Are those Jupiters? Can't figure out by image.

I'm in a dilemma between Black Winter and Dimebucker now

Comment

Nyatoh? Prolly EMG, Distortion or Black Winter
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Are those Jupiters? Can't figure out by image.

I'm in a dilemma between Black Winter and Dimebucker now
                          No. The bridge is the Custom Shop El Diablo. The neck is the Ric bass pup, (SRB-1b), that I modded the base to be a normal humbucker. Sounds killer.

Comment

I have one of those neck through RGT's but the wings are mahogany. I tried some different Duncans, but ended up with the Seymour Duncan/IBZ that has the hex and screws like the Screamin Demon, but with the Distortion wind. Anyway, I put an alnico 5 in it and it works better then anything else I tried. But that Duncan made pickup can be hard to find compared to the more common Duncan Designed one. I bet the Black Winter would work really well if you don't want to find a rare'ish pickup and then magnet swap.

Comment

I've decided for Black Winters!

Thank you all for help! I appreciate that. Can't wait to receive and install them...

Comment

Working...
                              X