HB for a strat bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post
    Unfortunately the JB isn't an option because i used them in the past and never liked them. Too hot also from memory at least. As i said the 59/hybrid is as hot as i'd go, tho i'd prefer to stay even lower.
    It does sound different with 250K pots. Not as hot. Have you tried it with 250K pots?
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

It does sound different with 250K pots. Not as hot. Have you tried it with 250K pots?
      Yes, i tried them a couple times both in strats with the 250k pot.

Comment

It seems very important to Lew that you tell him you'll consider the JB. You don't actually have to consider the JB, but the nice thing to do here would be to throw the old man a bone and tell him you will. His heels really seem dug in here.

Comment

Comment

Pearly Gates Plus does well with 250K. A tad more fullness and output than the regular PG bridge,
            Excellent match for vintage output singlecoils.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              It seems very important to Lew that you tell him you'll consider the JB. You don't actually have to consider the JB, but the nice thing to do here would be to throw the old man a bone and tell him you will. His heels really seem dug in here.
              Not at all. I don't use the JB. I'm not a fan. Don't even own one these days although I have owned some good ones. Even had a double cream JB.

Nor do I own a Strat with a humbucker for the bridge pickup and singles for the neck and middle.

But the JB is very good in that format because it DOES sound good with 250K pots and most humbuckers don't.

When it comes to humbuckers I'm a paf guy.

Comment

The JB isn't brighter than 8k PAF based hums.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

With 500K pots the JB isn't needle sharp. It's more like ice pick sharp with alot of punch.

With 500K pots Strat pickups sound like a steel needle piercing my ear drums.

With 500K pots the JB sounds like a steel nail being pushed through my ear drums.

With 250K pots both pickups become much more pleasant and comfortable for me to use.

But again, the JB is not for me.

I like paf style humbuckers like the Antiquity.

Comment

The first one that comes to my mind, and this is based on experience, is the Screamin' Demon. I use it currently with a 250K volume pot only in one of my Strats. It's HH but I had it in another Strat that was set up HSS. Sounded great with the singles but I'm a humbucker guy. The '59 works good with 250K pots too. Consider the Pearly Gates too.

No matter which route you go, you might want to consider removing the tone control from the bridge pickup and having it on the neck and middle single-coils only. The bridge pickup will sound better with just the 250K volume alone when that pickup is selected. Naturally, the tone control will come in to circuit when it is selected with the middle single-coil.

Comment

I second the Demon if it's a full size humbucker you're looking for.
                      But I have put a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge with singles in the other slots, and loved it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X