1st mag swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st mag swap

Well, Id ordered a pair ofceramic and roughcast A2 magnets to try in both my C5 and Jazz neck in my LTD. Was just gonna attempt the Jazz tonite but got into it and realized, I have the strings detuned and the floyd in a position it wont move so decided might as well put the ceramic inthe C5.

The C5 became a Custom first because the C5 sits in the cable for the Jazz. Easy peasy, hoping I put the magnet in the Custom wind correctly the on to the Jazz, out came the A5 and in goes the rca2. Again, pretty easy, hoping I have the mag oriented correctly.

Got them mounted again, guitar tuned up and fire up the Marshall. Hmmm doesnt sound right, take a peak, oh wait the pickups are way too low. Raised them up some, give it another try. Getting closer, lil more tweaking and Im close to where the pickups should be.

From my few minutes of the Jazz, holy crap, so much happier with the tone, love the sweet tone it now has to it. As for the Custom, definitely like it a bit better than the A5. May still need to tweak it a littlr more and get it dialed in a bit more. But overall happy with my first mag swap.

On a side note, had the original Ibanez pickup that came out of my Iceman, it had an A5 in it as well. Cant remember which pickup came in the Iceman, but it was meh at best. Here is a pict of the 2 A5s from the Jazz and Custom next to the Ibz magnet. Was suprised to see how much shorter the Ibz mag was compared to the SD mags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201218_212701.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	6040138
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Jazz with an A2 is an A2Pro. Welcome to Slash tone, my friend.

For what it's worth, I just put a stock Custom back in my Les Paul yesterday and fell back in love with it through a Marshall.

Comment

I think the first swap I ever did was a regular polished A2 into a Jazz, and man, I swear, that's my favorite pickup. I now have Alnico II Pros in the neck of 4 or 5 guitars.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I didnt realize Id ordere the roughcast A2 till I got it and said what hell, why not. Both pickups need a bit of tweaking but very happy with the A2 swap
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

So what you may have done is turn the Jazz into a "Custom" A2Pro. "Custom" because you used roughcast A2 instead of polished A2.

Good job! That probably made it even "better" than a regular A2Pro.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

You probably know this, but if you put your other roughcast A2 magnet in the Custom you'll have a Custom Custom Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              You probably know this, but if you put your other roughcast A2 magnet in the Custom you'll have a Custom Custom Custom.
              Isnt that the Custom Custom, thought the Custom Custom Custom became the Custom 5
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

Isnt that the Custom Custom, thought the Custom Custom Custom became the Custom 5
                I was joking.

I thought the Custom Custom had a Polished alnico 2 magnet.

If so, when you put a Roughcast Alnico 2 magnet in it you'd have a "Custom" Custom Custom.

Comment

I was joking.

If so, when you put a Roughcast Alnico 2 magnet in it you'd have a "Custom" Custom Custom.
                  Wasn't that the unofficial name of the Custom5?
                  And you might just be better off using the prefix "RC" when referring to rough cast magnets i.e RCA2P. Or RC Custom Custom.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Wasn't that the unofficial name of the Custom5?
                    And you might just be better off using the prefix "RC" when referring to rough cast magnets i.e RCA2P. Or RC Custom Custom.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

So with a RCA2 magnet in the Custom, you'd have a Custom Custom Custom Custom?

Comment

That's what everyone called it before the Custom 5 was a thing you could order. Ironically enough my first mag swap was exchanging magnets between a C5 & A2P (two pickups it turns out I hate) to turn them into a CC & Jazz which are two of my favorite SD humbuckers.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I was joking.

Figjred thats what you were say but wasnt 100%. Luckily Im off for the next two weeks, so Ill have some time to spend with the guitar
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Not too long ago, I posted about a Godin guitar that actually listed one of it's pups as a Custom Custom Custom. But I can't remember what everyone said it was, and I'm too lazy to go search for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Not too long ago, I posted about a Godin guitar that actually listed one of it's pups as a Custom Custom Custom. But I can't remember what everyone said it was, and I'm too lazy to go search for it.
                            That was a Custom 5, originally an OEM part for Godin, I believe. They used the CCC term in their advertising, which caused a bit of confusion.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That was a Custom 5, originally an OEM part for Godin, I believe. They used the CCC term in their advertising, which caused a bit of confusion.
                              Ah, yes. That was it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X