Humbuckers for metal for Japanese Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers for metal for Japanese Strat

I have just gotten a Fender Japan Modern Stratocaster HH.

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

Excellent playing guitar, but given my metal tastes I would like to change up for higher output pickups. I'm usually an EMG guy, but would like to stay passive for this one.

I am not too bothered about keeping the pickup aesthetics, so it doesn't matter if the new pickups are chrome/nickel covered or not.

Current favourite passives are the DiMarzio super distortion bridge and Gravity Storm neck in my Jackson SL2h. I also have a Duncan Invader set in my Jackson WR1. I quite like high output as I tend to use Marshall amps usually without a boost. I went through that whole tubescreamer thing and don't tend to bother anymore as I like the unboosted tone. I'm not a big fan of the Duncan JB, I find it too bland. The Duncan Distortion similarly just sounds very hi-fi ish.

Of course, I like my squealies and pinched harmonics. And tuning will be E-standard.

What sort of metal?

Comment

I guess more black metal or grindcore but with good amounts of midrange. A good example may be early Dimmu Borgir, or Entombed's "To Ride" tone. I know most of that is amps/EQ etc, but I would say I like a good lot of mids.

Comment

Being that you like the squeal, I'd look at the Alpha & Omega set. It gets the high output EMG thing in a passive pickup.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In my experience the clostest to the "sterile" tightness of an EMG is the Nazgûl. Tons of output, sharp as a knife and so tight in the bottom end that it can take all the bass you'll ever need and then some withouth becoming flubby. Oh and of course take a look at the Black Winters. A really unique character and more versatile than the Naz.

Comment

Yup...Nazgul/Sentient, Alpha/Omega, or Black Winter set. Nothing more to add

Comment

DB used EMGs, and Entombed stock Gibson pickups. Also, their tones are EQec very differently.

To get both tones, I'd go Custom/59. And use different amps for DB tones.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I second the notion of a Custom\59' set. Or a Custom 5, but you should try the regular Custom first and magnet-swap it to suit your tastes.

It'll give you something a little different than all your other guitars but still fills that metal need.

I swapped from an EMG set to Custom\59' in one of my metal guitars and I loved it, so there's that. If you like power chords, the Custom is hard to beat.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I went a little wild. I ordered a 59/Custom. I don't think I ever had one of these. I definitely have an SD Custom laying around and a couple of liberator pots.

I found a Duncan Distortion set for pretty cheap and figured I should give them another shot at that price. I also have a black winter set and an invader set winging its way so I may do some experimentation. I'm usually an EMG guy, have them on most of my guitars, so just felt like playing with some passives for a change.

Comment

The great thing about the 59/Custom Hybrid is that it does a lot of things really well. With a boost pedal or just with a lot of gain, it can absolutely make a great metal pickup. Love to hear how this eventually turns out.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just realized this has the "Modern Modified" pickups from the factory. Those are allegedly high output pickups with harder rock and metal in mind....have you actually tried them? I bet the 59/Custom is actually a step down output-wise

Comment

Working...
                      X