No announcement yet.

Weirdest Looking Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought those G&L Comanche pickups were cool.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Twice in my life I owned Eko Vox hollowbodies with the big rectangular white single coil pickups. Terrible weak, shrill things but they look cool and can be used as vocal microphones if necessary...
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and let's not forget Rickenbacker and Mosrite!

Comment

Almost forgot about Q-Tuners: https://www.q-tuner.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Tuners.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	6060675

Name:	Q-Tuners-02.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	6060676

And, they come in Silver wire.

Name:	silver-q-tuner.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	6060677

Comment

And perhaps Duncan & Co. deserves a little shout-out for their new cover options:

Name:	Duncan_covers.png
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	6060694

Comment

Railhammer

Name:	railhammer02.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	6060711

Name:	railhammer01.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	6060712

Comment

i have a set of the railhamers vintage and they are really nice and work as advertised. they came in a guitar i bought and was pleasantly surprised with how great they sounded.

the old gibson mudbucker has coils oriented the same as those qtuner pups but with adjustable pole pieces between the coils. i have one downstairs, ill try and remember to grab a pic

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  And perhaps Duncan & Co. deserves a little shout-out for their new cover options:

The pickups I just ordered will look like the black ones on the end here.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The pickups I just ordered will look like the black ones on the end here.
                    I think that's a wicked look. Should be sweet in the right guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      those gibson v shaped pups always seemed weird to me. id love to see under the cover to know whats goin on
                      Those V shaped pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence while he was working for Gibson at the time.
                      Maybe even manufactured by him.
                      I believe Bill had his own pickup manufacturing thing going before Gibson hired him, and he maintained his own shop facilities while working for Gibson.

Anyway, he designed the Marauder and S-1 pickups as well, which there are many pics of online, compared to the V's, which are a little rare but not super-rare.
                      The V's have that black epoxy underneath them that other Gibson HB's had at the time.
                      I had an ES-347 for a few years that had tapped 8k-16k HB's in them with the same black epoxy.
                      And I think those V-shaped pickups would be nearly the exact same kind of construction as Bill used in the Marauders and S-1's.
                      Encased in epoxy and all that.
                      The Marauders were clear epoxy, the V's (and other HB's from Gibson at the time) were black epoxy.
                      But, AFAIK, No-one else was filling pickups with epoxy, that was a Bill Lawrence invention.

Those Marauder pickups measure around 2.3k and I believe are humbuckers wired in parallel.
                      So that would be two coils of around 4.5 or 4.6k each.
                      I believe the V pickups follow similar construction except its 3-strings-per-coil instead of being side-by-side as the Marauders and S-1's were.
                      Complete flop and fail to put pickups that work for jazz into a super-cool looking Flying V, total design face-plant.
                      Last edited by Drak; 02-27-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Fender Triplebucker

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I like all three of these options a lot. The first two have a classy look
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

No Ibanez triplebucker thing?

Comment

I remember this thing, and I remember it sounded pretty bad, too.

Name:	WDMB (1).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	6060970
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Goodness there is a whole lot of ugly in this thread!
                                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                                X