Custom shop hot p-rail finally here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop hot p-rail finally here!

After 13 weeks of anticipation my custom hot p-rail that I had the custom shop make finally arrived yesterday. YES, it really did take 13 weeks. The reason I was given was that p-rails are sonically limited in what they can do in that format so it kept on getting put off while they 'researched' it and kept filling FSC orders as usual, well MJ kept putting it off while they were trying to figure out how to achieve the sonic properties I wanted. At least that's what Dennis told me. He was very apologetic and understanding of my situation and got MJ to build it immediately or who knows how long it would have taken. He did get it out to me within a week of talking to him and he gave me a 20% off coupon and included a T shirt and keychain in my order. Which I appreciate. I'm just glad to get my pup.

Now about the pickup. It is basically a trembucker spaced hot p-rail with more treble/cut and a bit of presence. 24.0 DCR. Two alnico 8 bar magnets. I'm going to inquire about inductance. I was told that MJ had to use a special machine to wind it and it was wound on a special pattern to meet my requirements. Am going to get it installed over the weekend and will let u guys know how it sounds when I get it installed and jammed on.

Edited to include: I was originally quoted a 6-8 week waiting time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-17-2021, 08:43 AM. Reason: Stoner attention span/memory
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I'm not sure if this is like "Cool!" or "What on God's Earth makes you need a 24k P-Rail???"

So do tell - what did you want to do with this beast??? Where is it going?? And of course, how does it sound?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Congrats! I always felt the p-rails have a lot of potential to unlock. I’m glad you did this, looking forward to the results.

Comment

It's going into a fender FMT HH tele (bridge obviously) with a stock neck p-rail with a pair of triple shot mounting rings. 500k pots .22uf tone cap, .15uf150v treble bleed. I play ska/punk mostly but play punk and classic rock also. I love the versatility of the p-rails I thought the bridge needed more power and they don't make the hot p-rail in trembucker spacing (stock) so I figured heres my chance to make it my own. I always thought if anything could make the hot p-rail better is if it had more high end and cut. So here's what I got. Will let you know how it sounds in a couple days.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

So, how is the 24k divided between the P90 and Rail sections? Cool project, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            So, how is the 24k divided between the P90 and Rail sections? Cool project, BTW.
            Yes, I wanna know more about this thing. How did you come up with this idea?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
              It's going into a fender FMT HH tele (bridge obviously) with a stock neck p-rail with a pair of triple shot mounting rings. 500k pots .022uf tone cap, .0015uf150v treble bleed. I play ska/punk mostly but play punk and classic rock also. I love the versatility of the p-rails I thought the bridge needed more power and they don't make the hot p-rail in trembucker spacing (stock) so I figured heres my chance to make it my own. I always thought if anything could make the hot p-rail better is if it had more high end and cut. So here's what I got. Will let you know how it sounds in a couple days.
              All I've got is basic info right now I'm going to inquire about inductance on Monday and will see how the 24k is split between the rail and the p90 when I visit my luthier. Will keep you guys updated.
              Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-17-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

What's the DCR on the regular "hot" P-rail?

What's the difference between yours and this one? LINK
                Last edited by Masta' C; 04-17-2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I believe the DCR on the regular hot p-rail is 22.4? Mine is trembucker spaced and I'm not a pickup maker but it was made to have more treble, cut and presence than the regular hot p-rail. That's what I requested.

Comment

I can TOTALLY see the extra juice on the single or the P-90 really working for you, especially with the volume control, and maybe even parallel mode easily. But I don't see the 24k hit on the series being anything but a mushy mess. If you get that treble in HB mode, I'd think the single or P-90 would be flat out harsh.

Very intrigued though! Ska w/ hot rail, or Punk with the hot P-90 (or Hotter Parallel maybe for either - especially with cranked amp...)

What amp?
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      I can TOTALLY see the extra juice on the single or the P-90 really working for you, especially with the volume control, and maybe even parallel mode easily. But I don't see the 24k hit on the series being anything but a mushy mess. If you get that treble in HB mode, I'd think the single or P-90 would be flat out harsh.

Very intrigued though! Ska w/ hot rail, or Punk with the hot P-90 (or Hotter Parallel maybe for either - especially with cranked amp...)

What amp?
                      That's exactly why I asked for more treble and cut and asked to voice in a slight bit if presence (preamplifier) I thought it would brighten it up. I'm hoping for a usable series sound that's why I asked for what I did. You get the idea exactly with the ska/punk. And I'm using a boss katana 50

Comment

I'm definitely curious about how this turned out!

Honestly, I don't think the specific inductance value(s) matters all that much in this case. It sounds like MJ put some effort into this one...drop it in and see what it's like!

Comment

Sounds like a very cool guitar and pickup. The regular P-Rails is a pretty hot humbucker, your is going to be a beast.

Comment

I mean, they coulda just called me.

Comment

lol, but i also do not bother old colleagues, if it’s not absolutely necessary

Comment

Working...
                              X