Thinking about getting a quarter pound for tele lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a quarter pound for tele lead

I'm thinking about putting a quarter pound bridge pickup in my tele. Im using it with a twisted tele neck (for now). I want to get it tapped so I gave access to vintage tone as I like vintage tone in my neck. I'll be using it to play punk rock so I need something that will not turn to mud when chugging away at power chords and needs to cut through the mix. Any feedback would help!
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I've always been a fan of all the QP series.
    It should certainly cut in a Tele bridge position.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The tapped one is the right one to get. Use a push/pull switch, or even better, an S1 switch. The QP does punk really well, and full-on, isn't very Tele-ish. But tapped, it gets a lot closer.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Mincer I just put in a custom shop order for one. I got the quarter pound tele lead tapped I am having the custom shop make it with an aged bobbin with no logo. It's going in my road worn tele so I want it to look vintage... But looks can be deceiving!
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

it‘s still some tele in there on full.
          if you go custom i would get the tap higher than half.
          more around 75% or so.
          i think it‘s AWG 44, so around 8k of awg 44 is not too much. hell 10k worth of awg 43 can sound great!
          so maybe 13k???

was thinking about getting the tapped version for myself a while ago:

found a regular one for cheap though
          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 04-26-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
            Thanks Mincer I just put in a custom shop order for one. I got the quarter pound tele lead tapped I am having the custom shop make it with an aged bobbin with no logo. It's going in my road worn tele so I want it to look vintage... But looks can be deceiving!
            Very cool! Make sure you come back and let us know how this project works out!

Comment

They've got even more bite with 500K pots. Suits the Twisted neck pretty well too.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm curious how well do you guys think that the quarter pound tele lead (tapped) would go with an antiquity 2 tele rhythm? I like vintage output in my neck pickup to go with my high gain bridge pickup. What do you think it would sound like together?

Comment

I'm curious how well do you guys think that the quarter pound tele lead (tapped) would go with an antiquity 2 tele rhythm? I like vintage output in my neck pickup to go with my high gain bridge pickup. What do you think it would sound like together?
                  They should sound good, and if you want a more powerful sound, just use the full QP. It is a great combo for someone who wants a Tele with some diverse sounds, that all still sound Tele-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

They should sound good, and if you want a more powerful sound, just use the full QP. It is a great combo for someone who wants a Tele with some diverse sounds, that all still sound Tele-ish.
                    Thanks Mincer, I'm kind of leaning towards the antiquity 2 tele but which one out of the 2 antiquity tele rhythm pickups would sound better with the QP tele lead? The antiquity 2 is supposed to be more balanced sound but which do you suggest of the two?

Comment

EQ wise, I'd think the Antiquity II would be the most balanced. It still has that bassy Tele neck thing going on, but there is a wee bit more mids in it than the Antiquity 55 , which would be my 2nd choice. Both of those pickups have just about the same power.

Comment

And just to be clear I was asking if you (Mincer) think the quarter pound tele lead pickup would go with the antiquity 2 tele rhythm pickup when the quarter pound tele lead pickup is in full force(not tapped,),? I like to use a high gain modern bridge pickup with a vintage neck pickup. Do you think they will sound good together when using the full 17k of the quarter pound tele lead?

Comment

they will mix fine, whether they sound good is up to you. two great pups either way

Comment

I agree, they will mix fine. One is louder than the other, so that one will dominate the blend, like in any 2 pickups whose outputs aren't the same. But it will be a good sound, nonetheless.

Comment

And just to be clear I was asking if you (Mincer) think the quarter pound tele lead pickup would go with the antiquity 2 tele rhythm pickup when the quarter pound tele lead pickup is in full force(not tapped,),? I like to use a high gain modern bridge pickup with a vintage neck pickup. Do you think they will sound good together when using the full 17k of the quarter pound tele lead?
                              It won't be any worse than putting 2 humbuckers in parallel and people do that all the time. The QP is mega fat and will make every position fat unless you use your tap. Should be fine if that's what you're going for.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X