Challenge! Wiring Diagram HSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

The 2 poles of the push-pull are already fully consumed with the task of A) deactivating the Middle coil (Pole 1) and allowing the signal to pass to the Master Volume from the humbuckers instead of the Middle Pickup in Position 3 (pole 2). So the choices for which coils to split to, cannot be placed into a push-pull cuz it only has 2 poles. Instead those decisions must reside in the superswitch. And the superswitch can only be set up w the coilsplit plans for Mode 1 (HH) or Mode 2 (SSS).

If you use an S1 switch instead of a push-pull, you get the additional pole needed to override one of the the coilsplit choices in the superswitch, and without having any additional physical maneuvers required. It's still just 1 motion (push), like the push-pull pot. And actually, a push motion is more ergonomic than a pull motion.
    Darkside,

Was that diagram you posted above created in a software designed for creating guitar wiring diagrams? If yes, could you tell me the name of it, and what the ballpark cost was if it is not freeware?

Thanks
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Give me a little time to review all your posts.

I used Visio, I have it on my work laptop. It’s not the best tool for electrical schematics, although I’ve used it in the past for that purpose!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

This is not exactly your request, but it is similar if it helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

Darkside,

Sure, no problem.

FYI: i've got family business to attend to for the next few days, so I probably won't be able to resume development on the software version of the diagram until Sunday at the earliest.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-16-2021, 09:12 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Spotted an error in the pencil-and-paper diagram, involving the routing of wires btw the top and bottom poles of the MV S1 switch. Fixed. Reply # 26 updated with revised diagram attached plus link to the diagram at my Imgur account updated.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-17-2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Update: made a lot of progress tonight, now in the home stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Give me a little time to review all your posts.

I used Visio, I have it on my work laptop. It’s not the best tool for electrical schematics, although I’ve used it in the past for that purpose!
                Darkside,

I've completed the version created in circuit layout software (DIY Layout Creator). Attached is a pic of it.

In case the forum software doesn't hold good resolution when you zoom in on the attachment, following is a link to my Imgur account where you can download a hi-res version of the diagram.

Let me know if you have any questions.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-24-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Wow, absolutely fantastic! Thank you for this!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Darkside,

I've completed the version created in circuit layout software (DIY Layout Creator). Attached is a pic of it.

In case the forum software doesn't hold good resolution when you zoom in on the attachment, following is a link to my Imgur account where you can download a hi-res version of the diagram.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Holy Batman!!!
                    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Cool, glad you appreciate it.

This is one of the few ideas for a custom scheme I've seen that, while yielding a ton of tonal options, also remains uber simple in how to engage snd switch btw those options in a live performance setting. So thank you for dreaming up the idea.

Being practical in its operation, it has big potential for adoption by alot of HSH players. I really hope that happens.

Please post back here about your impressions of it once you get it wired up!

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post

Holy Batman!!!
                        Thanks!

Comment

I just thought of a potentially good reason to justify a third pot in this scheme. The third pot could be a Spin-A-Split that is only active in SSS mode, that lets you dial in just enough of the 2nd coil of the Neck and Bridge humbuckers, to mitigate 60 cycle/RF noise, when using Positions 1 and 5 of SSS mode in noisy gig environments. Full disclosure, this would probably have the inverse effect on positons 2 and 4 of SSS mode, as you'd be partially introducing a third coil in those positions. So this third pot may need to be tweaked when switching from SSS mode positions 1 or 5, to 2 or 4. The third pot would need to be a double pot design, with your discretion of whether to use dual gang or dual concentric based on whether you feel the need for individual control of each HB's 2nd coil or not. It would also have to be a 100K value at max, and i know some forum members (e.g
                          Clint55) who advise 50K pot values for best response of pot sweep when going from full split to no split, or vice versa.

Comment

I updated the diagram (and Imgur link) in Reply # 37 so that the 470K resistor used with the Middle Pickup is only in the circuit when the Middle Pickup is active by itself (traditional Strat Position 3). This should help prevent that resistor having a darkening effect when the Middle Pickup is paired with the Neck and Bridge pickups in SSS mode Positions 2 and 4.

Comment

I updated the diagram (and Imgur link) in Reply # 37 so that the 470K resistor used with the Middle Pickup is only in the circuit when the Middle Pickup is active by itself (traditional Strat Position 3). This should help prevent that resistor having a darkening effect when the Middle Pickup is paired with the Neck and Bridge pickups in SSS mode Positions 2 and 4.
                              Ehh, just spotted how I goofed that mod, though. Standby for a pending fix.

Comment

Ehh, just spotted how I goofed that mod, though. Standby for a pending fix.
                                Reply 37 updated.

Comment

Working...
                                X