Black Winter "blackened" tb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Semetery View Post

I saw the back first and thought I just ended up getting sent the original set. Flipped it to see I was gladly wrong. Going to try them tonight/tomorrow.

Also grabbed a DiMarzio Fortitude to slap in a Les Paul. Can't wait to try these.
    Please let us know how the Fortitude is. I've been wanting either a Fortitude (was even thinking possibly a Black Winter) as a new bridge pup in my old PRS CE24. I've got a Pearly Gates set in it now and thinking about something a little bit hotter and warmer. The Fortitude kinda sounds like it's something that would work well.

Comment

@Toejam I am really liking the Fortitude a lot. It's got a different thing going for it from any Duncan I've ever used. That may be the DiMarzio factor though. I've never owned any before this one. I feel like I've read something about a cocked wah sound but maybe I remember wrong. Regardless, it does have that somewhat in my opinion, but not in a bad way as weird as that may sound. I have to tweak my amp fairly differently to accommodate that from the Winter's but it's worth it. Clarity with a cool vintage thing going on. It works for metal I think so well because you can play with SO much gain and still get the notes in there. It'd be good for anything I think.

I've been playing a Gibson LP Traditional with the Fortitude and a Pearly neck and a LTD 1000 Deluxe with the blackened Winter's. I go back and forth and they're both really nice sounding sets for about anything. I split the BW's, they do a really cool clank and even the blackened versions clean up too. But my God, full power, raised up to the strings.... they're so mean, so violent, with so much clarity. The neck is SO fat too. These things are nuts and I have fallen for them harder than for the original set. The first amp I tried with them was a JCM800 and it sounded like I had a pedal in front. It knocked that amp into overdrive. So good.
      Last edited by Semetery; 06-15-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
        @Toejam I am really liking the Fortitude a lot. It's got a different thing going for it from any Duncan I've ever used. That may be the DiMarzio factor though. I've never owned any before this one. I feel like I've read something about a cocked wah sound but maybe I remember wrong. Regardless, it does have that somewhat in my opinion, but not in a bad way as weird as that may sound. I have to tweak my amp fairly differently to accommodate that from the Winter's but it's worth it. Clarity with a cool vintage thing going on. It works for metal I think so well because you can play with SO much gain and still get the notes in there. It'd be good for anything I think.

I've been playing a Gibson LP Traditional with the Fortitude and a Pearly neck and a LTD 1000 Deluxe with the blackened Winter's. I go back and forth and they're both really nice sounding sets for about anything. I split the BW's, they do a really cool clank and even the blackened versions clean up too. But my God, full power, raised up to the strings.... they're so mean, so violent, with so much clarity. The neck is SO fat too. These things are nuts and I have fallen for them harder than for the original set. The first amp I tried with them was a JCM800 and it sounded like I had a pedal in front. It knocked that amp into overdrive. So good.
        Awesome! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X