Advice on attaching humbucker cover to single coil sized pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on attaching humbucker cover to single coil sized pickup

Building a partscaster. Using Wilkinson Hot Rails single coil sized humbuckers, with chrome plated pickup covers. Unfortunately, there is no single coil sized cover that will fit the bridge pickup (it's too thick). Trust me, I tried everything, including grinding down the inside surface, removing the tape, hotrail covers, etc.

So I decided I would use an HSS pickguard and a humbucker cover (closed, no holes). The bridge pickup holes line up nicely. . The question is - what is the best way to secure the humbucker cover to the pickup? Or should I somehow secure it to the pickguard itself?

I have cut slots on the edges of the cover so that it sits lower in the pickguard - will attach pics of that later. I've also used liquid electrical tape on the edge of the cover where it contacts the pickup, as well as on the solder points on the pickup itself. I will also ground the cover to the ground wire of the pickup.

Thoughts? How would you handle stabilizing the cover?

Click image for larger version  Name:	06648A2F-DB51-4458-976F-ED02227830BA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	6087214
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9694.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	6087236
    Last edited by rmackowsky; 06-11-2021, 09:13 PM.

I don't see this working reliably in any fashion as-is. First, it's like putting a square peg in a round hole. Second, the rails are actually rounded over so there will be an air gap between the top of the pickup and the cover. That can lead to microphonic feedback. You don't want that.

So, to get a truly reliable form factor that will work for what you want, you would need to go through the Custom Shop and order a single-coil mounted to a humbucker base-plate. The cover would need slits in it to allow the rails to come through and eliminate any gap.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I don't see this working reliably in any fashion as-is. First, it's like putting a square peg in a round hole. Second, the rails are actually rounded over so there will be an air gap between the top of the pickup and the cover. That can lead to microphonic feedback. You don't want that.

So, to get a truly reliable form factor that will work for what you want, you would need to go through the Custom Shop and order a single-coil mounted to a humbucker base-plate. The cover would need slits in it to allow the rails to come through and eliminate any gap.
      I was planning on adding a thick layer of wax inside the cover to fill the gap. Also considered cutting slots in the cover, but don't think I can do that in a way that looks good.
      Last edited by rmackowsky; 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

There are conversion mounts for installing singles in humbucker routs/pickguard holes
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          There are conversion mounts for installing singles in humbucker routs/pickguard holes
          I've seen those, but they are uncovered. Are there any that allow a cover?

I wonder if I could attach the bridge pickup to this, mount it UNDER the pickguard, then just glue the humbucker cover to the plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jegtazb3p77di3ap3blw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	6087252
          Last edited by rmackowsky; 06-11-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

You probably do not even need wax to fill the air gap. I seem to recall one of the Luthier types noting you can just use double-sided tape or 3M double-sided foam.

I also think one of them may have some recommendation to help with attaching the cover to that mounting ring.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
              You probably do not even need wax to fill the air gap. I seem to recall one of the Luthier types noting you can just use double-sided tape or 3M double-sided foam.

I also think one of them may have some recommendation to help with attaching the cover to that mounting ring.
              Ok luthier types - whatcha got?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                It is kinda a shame what they charge for that. Many Duncan singles are $60. So it's another $100 just for the cover.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Comment

Yes, changing the baseplate to another form doesn't fall under the 'Shop Floor Custom' program, so it would be a Custom Shop thing.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd choose latex caulk rather than wax. It ought to adhere fairly well.
                    Hot glue would be an even more secure option.

For a permanent, monolithic attachment you could use epoxy resin.
                    You'd never be able to separate them, and it might damp the tone a little bit.
                    Still, there are some expoxy-sealed humbuckers that sound pretty darn good.

As suggested above, you need something - even a piece of tape - to prevent the rails from making direct contact with the metal cover.
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-12-2021, 12:44 PM.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

You can do a lot with a hot glue gun, as well, believe me

Comment

Even with glue you are going to have a miniscule point of attachment......the 2 tiny highspots of the rails. The minute you get aggressive on the corners of the cover with the heel of your palm you will have a lot of force operating on a adhesion patch that simply will be incapable of holding.
                        I can only see this working if there are 2 slots cut in the cover and you are gluing/adhering to the top area of the bobbin rather than the very tops of the rails.

Comment

What you want to use to hold that puppy down is urethane caulk.

Stronger than silicone.
                          Not as stretchy as silicone.
                          Very stiff setting material.

Cover the rails to the top and strike off/let dry. This will isolate the rails from the cover. Then use a nice thin even coat of urethane to hold the cover on.

Comment

I would think that you'd just want to get a blank baseplate, (like from Mojotone), and do a cover/baseplate "sandwich", so to speak.
                            Fill in the gaps & spaces with whatever goop people recommend.

https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...-frames?page=1

Comment

Working...
                            X