banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VH Pickups, Pete Thorn, and a lot of sounds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Did you watch the video or are you just making historical statements?
    I've had that opinion for years from my own research, Metroamp foruming (back when it was cool; Pete was on there too) and tone chasing.

But yeah, watched the vid too, and Pete's efforts show the same.
    Last edited by LLL; 06-15-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Do I have to sell a Les Paul to pay him?
      Most likely...and let him keep all of the gear.

(actually I don't know the going rate to produce a good gear 'review'...but it isn't cheap)
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The thing about it, the ones that didn't make the cut (for me) I don't believe were designed to get the right sound with the amp setup he was using - he had the correct amp, tubes, variac and speakers, which almost no one has. Some of the other pickups, like the '78 Model, didn't sound right through that particular rig, but does sound closer/better through a typical off-the-shelf dimed Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          The thing about it, the ones that didn't make the cut (for me) I don't believe were designed to get the right sound with the amp setup he was using - he had the correct amp, tubes, variac and speakers, which almost no one has. Some of the other pickups, like the '78 Model, didn't sound right through that particular rig, but does sound closer/better through a typical off-the-shelf dimed Marshall.
          Interesting point. Kind of like the Slash pickups are designed for off the shelf LP's vs the A2P's in the Derek.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Weird, I really liked the '78 in the video. The CC was just kind of meh, not that it was bad, it just was missing something compared to the other A2 pups. Will probably go back and listen to sections through a different setup at some point.

Comment

There were more than a couple that sounded pretty good. The SuperD, SH5, and bare knuckle VHII really stood out. The TV Jones pickup sounded solid too. Mighty Mites caught my attention.

That video gave me pickupitis more than anything. The Thornbucker and a couple others werent the *most* convicing but I'd like to have those pickups on-hand.
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Superb video. Thanks Ace for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Weird, I really liked the '78 in the video. The CC was just kind of meh, not that it was bad, it just was missing something compared to the other A2 pups. Will probably go back and listen to sections through a different setup at some point.
                  i really liked the 78 in this too and didnt think the cc sounded great, yet i love the cc in most guitars ive put it in

Comment

I have a CC in Floyd/Superstrat and it sounds great. Maple cap on Alder maybe?

Still loving the SuperD for this purpose though! No surprise there with me...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

will listen to it again but was really surprised by the BIG difference between the SH-11 custom custom and the SD Frankenstein bucker, although both are A2 and a 14.2k wind!!!
                      especially since some on here said something like the Frankenstein bucker was just a rip off and is more or less the same as the custom custom.
                      but maybe the difference is indeed just a degaussed A2 mag...

Comment

degaussing the mag definitely changes things. i frequently pull the degaussed mags from antiquitys but with the set in my les paul, the degaussed mag sounds so damn good in the bridge i cant pull the trigger to put a full strength one in even though i would like a bit more oomph.

and while im not a vh guy at all when it comes to my playing, i still have an old dimarzio sd downstairs cause its a great pup and nothing really does what it does better

Comment

yeah it's a bit less stuffed in the mids and less oomph. i can see that working in a LP.
                          for a low gain cutting crunch i seem to prefer those thinned out pickups.

but i take the "BIG" statement back. made a direct comparison track by track and it's close.
                          must have jumped from a different track (i think D.O.A w/FS to little Dreamer w/SH-11) to the custom custom before, which gave the impression of a huge difference
                          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-16-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X