• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotter PAF 36th Anniversary?

1981 lawsuit Greco Les Paul Custom
    PAF 36th Anniversary matched set.
    50’s wiring.

I like the tone and openness, but I find myself usually wanting more balls in the bridge.
    Little hotter, fuller low mids, more growl.

I’m keeping the 36th neck.

JB is my favorite humbucker, UOA5 mag preferred.
    But I don’t think I want that much output for this guitar.
    If there was an 11k-12k JB, that’d be perfect.
    This guitar at one time had a JB8 or JB+, which was gnarly AF, but again, I want less output than that.

I have an oversized ceramic I could try in there.
    Should fill it out across the spectrum.
    But it’s got an aged gold cover, and I’m not dicking around with wax potting. (is it a big deal anyway?)

I do NOT want a Super Distortion. Had 2 and they were both awful.
    Also tried a C/59 and I was not impressed, though that was in a floyded strat.

Custom? Custom UOA5? Screamin Demon? Norton? AT-1?

Open to any brand.

Dimarzio norton. It is a common pairing with the 36th neck. It's dimarzio's jb/59.

I think the fortitude is a hotter 36th bridge.

Comment

Get one of Ray Barbee's Bare Knuckle True Grit humbuckers. I have the Black Dog and it's a perfect hotter singing even PAF type, and the True Grit is supposed to be that plus more heat.

Prices are shipped/paypalled in the Continental US. Pickup prices are as stated, not taking offers at the moment, maybe if something doesn’t sell in a few months. DISCOUNT FOR MULTIPLES: For each pickup over 1, take $5 off the price of each additional pickup. Descriptions of condition and lead length are given below. If

Comment

I have a Dimarzio PAF with a Ceramic magnet and it sounds great.

Comment

I had a Dimarzio Air Zone and Paf 36th neck in a PRS guitar for a while. I thought they meshed well together.

Comment

Go with the 59/Custom Hybrid.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Perpetual Burn is right around 12K. Doesn't have the JB's presence spike but it's super articulate and cleans up very well.
              Definitely stronger than vintage output but not as hot as a JB.

You could try a ceramic mag in your 36th. I've been tempted to try it myself. I have a 36th bridge that I can't quite love.
              Been spoiled by the marvelous Virtual Hot PAF, and in comparison the 36th simply doesn't measure up.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Hotter PAF 36th = DiMarzio Transition

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                  I think the fortitude is a hotter 36th bridge.
                  This was my thought; it’s a tweaked 36th bridge, not as hot as you want on paper, but might be worth looking at.

Comment

I'm thinking the sound you want is accessible with some quality time with a screwdriver adjusting height/tilt/poles...

So if you haven't REALLY spent that time, try that.

Never played a Norton in a bridge position. Interesting.

That said - never even heard fo the Fortitude, but it sounds exactly like what you want per DMZ site.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I love the Custom Custom in my LP’s bridge.

Comment

I really like the Whole Lotta Humbucker for that PAF + vibe.

Comment

There is a DiMarzio DP 214 Virtual HOT PAF on Reverb right now in mint condition with gold screws. Get it while you can and you will be so happy you did every time you pick up that guitar.
                          BTW, you don't worry so about loosing the wax as much when removing the covers if you use a Dremel to remove the solder, instead of your iron. A lesson I wish I learned a while ago.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I found an aged gold SH-5 on reverb for just $50, so I snagged it.
                            I think I will like it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
                              I really like the Whole Lotta Humbucker for that PAF + vibe.
                              I'd say it's about the same output as the 36th, but it's been years since I've played a Dim 36th so I am only going from memory,

Comment

Working...
                              X