Pickup advice, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup advice, please

I need to replace the neck pickup on my The Loar LH-350 archtop. The original is a humbucker, I don't know any more about it other than it's dead. I'm looking for advice for an appropriate replacement

thanks - Mark

welcome to the forum!

i believe the stock pup is a kent armstrong mini-humbucker mounted to the pickguard. sound right?

Comment

That is a cool guitar! I can't tell if the pickup is on the pickguard or the fingerboard.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's a floating pickup, so probably this: https://reverb.com/item/2045173-pick...e-poles-nickel

or this: https://reverb.com/item/39366610-ken...ickel-hjgn6-ni

Depends on how it mounts
        Last edited by Masta' C; 07-02-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          It's a floating pickup, so probably this: https://reverb.com/item/2045173-pick...e-poles-nickel

or this: https://reverb.com/item/39366610-ken...ickel-hjgn6-ni

Depends on how it mounts
          Yes! it looks exactly like the second link. I haven't taken it apart yet because I didn't know enough about what I was looking for to know how far to take it apart but seeing this sort of "arms" me (informs me?) to be able to go deeper.

That was quick, thanks for the responses, folks - M

Comment

What would you like to replace it with? Is the original pickup not working, or just looking for a different sound?

Comment

If you plug the guitar in and nothing comes out and assume a dead pickup is the cause, that is a false assumption.

The pickup itself, in the chain of possible failures along the circuit path, would be about dead last on my list of suspects.
              Its the very last thing I would suspect, not the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                What would you like to replace it with? Is the original pickup not working, or just looking for a different sound?
                The original stopped working (at least that was my presumption), I was thinking something brighter than the original. But, having said that, I don't know what is available that will fit in the original spot other than the one from the link posted earlier, I'll see what's available.

Drak wrote: "If you plug the guitar in and nothing comes out and assume a dead pickup is the cause, that is a false assumption.

The pickup itself, in the chain of possible failures along the circuit path, would be about dead last on my list of suspects.
                Its the very last thing I would suspect, not the first."

It seems that you might have some wisdom to share. This was making music one minute and stopped. I even did the screwdriver test and nada. In light of your comment I can see that alone isn't an indicator either. From your experience, where would you look first? There's not much to it - a pickup, a pot & capacitor and a jack and some wiring to get from here to there. what are your thoughts?

Comment

You need a multimeter and start with the connections of the pickup leads to pot.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Keep in mind that if you get it working, but still don't like the sound, you can always have that pickup re-wound to sound pretty much the way you'd want.

Comment

Working...
                    X