Neck pickup to go with Duncan JB8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup to go with Duncan JB8

I have a Seymour Duncan JB8 lying around that I got a few years ago. I’ve been thinking about swapping that into the bridge of a Jackson DK2M which currently has a Crunch Lab/ Liquifire set. Can anyone recommend a good neck pickup to compliment the JB8? I’ve heard that it’s incredibly hot and can drown out some of the lower output neck pickups like a Jazz.

Holcomb (Alpha), Sentient, Black Winter would be my choices.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I use it with Wilde Alnico Microcoils in an HSS Strat. I have a similar setup with 2 L45 and L500XL. With a clean sound the bridge buckers are MUCH louder and darker but it doesn't matter. The bridge setting is used with distortion only, the singles for clean and distortion.

I've never found the Jazz to get drowned out by anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post

I've never found the Jazz to get drowned out by anything.
        So you think a stock Jazz would work well in that context?

Comment

I think the Jazz' EQ is what keeps it sitting on top of a mix and blending well with much higher-output pickups.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Birdman642 I don't find JB8 incredibly hot, when comparing it to Black Winter, Distortion, Custom, Custom8 and Custom Custom. For a neck pair, Jazz or Full Shred (or my new favourite, 59/Jazz hybrid) should do the job, they're not at all overpowered by the JB. For an even meaner and tighter bass sound try swapping the E, A and D filister screws in the JB with hex screws you pull from the Liquifire, that's how I'm using my JB8 now and I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
              Birdman642 I don't find JB8 incredibly hot, when comparing it to Black Winter, Distortion, Custom, Custom8 and Custom Custom.
              So if it’s not as hot as any of those how exactly does it stack up?
              I have a Black Winter matched set in my other Jackson that I absolutely adore. Is the JB8 radically different from the BW in terms of tone and output? Would I still be able to get a decent Gothenburg Melodeath type tone from the JB8?
              I also have a stock JB in an Explorer. How does the JB8 compare to the stock JB in terms of tone and output?
              Last edited by Birdman642; 07-07-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I have a Jazz neck with a JB in my Charvel, they match output well as long as you set the height correctly. I think it is a versatile combo, the Jazz is great for high gain lead but also sounds good for cleans and mild overdrive. You can always split coils for even cleaner sound.

Edit: Wait, now I see you mean JB8, not the regular JB. I have never tried that.
                Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-07-2021, 09:01 AM.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Sentient. Have one in my KOA Carvin DC 127 with a Alt 8 in the bridge and that combo kills.
                  The Sentient really seems to work well with A 8 and can not imagine a better match for the Alt. Have had both the Alt and the JB 8 in guitars and think a Sientient would be a really good match for the JB 8.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman642 View Post

So if it’s not as hot as any of those how exactly does it stack up?
                    I have a Black Winter matched set in my other Jackson that I absolutely adore. Is the JB8 radically different from the BW in terms of tone and output? Would I still be able to get a decent Gothenburg Melodeath type tone from the JB8?
                    I also have a stock JB in an Explorer. How does the JB8 compare to the stock JB in terms of tone and output?
                    Compared to the stock JB, the JB8 has higher output but its EQ feels flatter. Smoother highs, high mids and low mids sound very balanced and the bass is definitely tighter, if you're into high gain I'd say give the JB8 a go asap. Even with the A8, it still preserves that staple high mid honky voice, but it doesn't sound out of place at all, I love it. And it responds well to height adjustment. If you like Black Winter bridge you'll probably like The JB8. The BW cleans up nicer, I can do more with it compared to the JB, but since I spend 95% of the time plugged into a tubescreamer pushing the Marshall OD2 channel I love both equally

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                      since I spend 95% of the time plugged into a tubescreamer pushing the Marshall OD2 channel I love both equally
                      That sounds exactly like what I do! I’m excited to try the JB8 out. I ordered a used Jazz neck yesterday. I can’t wait to try that combo

Comment

Jazz with A4 magnet and short poles.

Comment

Don't worry about it. Your ears will quickly tire of the JB8, and your problem won't exist anymore.

Of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Comment

Working...
                          X