An Interesting '80s Jackson Pickup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting '80s Jackson Pickup!

Recently scored a really cool mid-'80s ('86-'88 era), Made in USA Jackson humbucker.

What makes this one interesting, besides being a USA-made pickup from the peak of the Hair Metal era, is the fact that it's clearly a "J-85" model, but nothing like the similarly branded "J-85" dual-rail pickup that appeared on Jackson import models starting around 1993 or so.

This particular version looks like a traditional humbucker and doesn't appear in any of the old catalogs I can find online. Mine specs out at exactly 15K and has an Alnico magnet (A5 most likely). 2 other examples I could find online were said to be 15.2K and 15.4K according to their sellers.

This suggests they are indeed different from the more common "J-80" and "J-90" offerings...I wish I knew the story behind these rarities!

Mine:

Others:

Cool! My Jackson USA had a J50BC. If I remember correctly, the “50” indicated a vintage wind, the “B” meant bridge, and the “C” meant ceramic. I guess the J85 wind is halfway between a J80 and a J90
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Probably their copy of a JB
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
        Probably their copy of a JB
        That's what I was thinking, but then I saw the J90 is spec'd at 16K with an A5

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
        Cool! My Jackson USA had a J50BC. If I remember correctly, the “50” indicated a vintage wind, the “B” meant bridge, and the “C” meant ceramic. I guess the J85 wind is halfway between a J80 and a J90
        Looking at this chart (which doesn't show the "85" explicity), it may be as simple as that...

Last edited by Masta' C; 07-09-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X