banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Pole Pieces/Screws/Slug Specs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Pole Pieces/Screws/Slug Specs...?

I have a few Duncan pup's lying around and a lot of my guitars have Gold Hardware on them. I was wanting to maybe change out the existing OEM screws(Fillister) and slugs to Gold,.. also thought about experimenting with Hex Cap screw pole pieces as well... again in Gold.

I'm pretty sure that the all the duncan regular (Fillister) pole screws are #5-40 but I'm not sure about the Hex head type cap screws.. are they the same thread, and who has those available in Gold?

I thought about reaching out to Dimarzio about some of their Gold Hex head cap screws, but I thought I read somewhere that they use a different "size" than Duncan(?)

Who or where is the goto place for these types of specific parts? (I know StewMac has the regular stuff, it looks like Bareknuckles has the Gold Hex head stuff, but not sure what their size/thread is on those?) I also found these guys who seem to have them as well: https://www.axesrus.co.uk/HexHeadPol.../app34hex1.htm

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks
    Rick

Similar, yet different, I have an order with the SD Custom Shop for a Strat pickup with gold pole pieces, it's going in a custom Nashville Telecaster build, all gold hardware, with a black body, ordered over six months ago, still waiting for it to arrive, issues with the supply chain, which is affecting many different industries at the moment....

Comment

I seem to recall Dimarzio hex heads are different when I inquired. Hex heads I got from AddictionFX didn't fit into Duncans, so I think Duncans are a particular size.

Comment

Duncan hex poles (and many newer DiMarzio hex models) are #5-40 thread

Older DiMarzios like the Super Distortion, original Evolution, etc. used larger threaded set screws. The Invader large cap poles are also the bigger thread size.

Overall, hex poles are a fairly low-demand item, so you're unlikely to find them in gold outside of the actual pickup manufacturers like Duncan and DiMarzio
        Last edited by Masta' C; 07-13-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Duncan hex heads generally will fit the thread and recess for standard filister pole screws.

There are a few exceptions, I think - hot pickups where the hex screws have a shaft as fat as the head.
          Pretty sure DiMarzio's Super D is one of these. But I believe many other DiMarzio hex poles may be standard size & thread.
          (EDIT: Masta'C beat me to it, with more complete info.)

Gold hex heads are a pretty exotic item. I don't know of any outside source for them myself.
          But the pickup makers are getting them, so somebody must be making 'em.
          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-13-2021, 06:16 PM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X