Bridge pickup choices in mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup choices in mahogany

I picked up this guitar for a price I couldn't resist https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG321MH

The pickups were stripped, which is fine because those would have been tossed anyway I had a JB and a Custom Custom in my parts box, so in they go. The JB is in the bridge and the CC in the neck.

Anyway, the JB is very bright which I can knock out with the EQ, but a raspy undertone still remains. I have a JB in an alder Tele that is very smooth and hope to get closer to that.

Any ideas? I thought of swapping the CC to the bridge, but I do like it were it is. After some research on this forum quite a few mention a Duncan Distortion may tame the raspy spike in mahogany. If it matters I am playing through a Marshall Origin 50 and a DSL 40CR.

Thanks

I have a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge of my mahogany PRS CE24, Air Classic in the neck. They both do what I want, and I think so little about pickups for that guitar now, it took me a minute to remember what they were.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Pearly Gates would be an excellent choice to pair with the Custom Custom, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        I have a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge of my mahogany PRS CE24, Air Classic in the neck. They both do what I want, and I think so little about pickups for that guitar now, it took me a minute to remember what they were.
        I am brand specific lately But I did have an Air Norton in a Ibanez 3120 Prestige that sounded really well. I traded that guitar for the Baja Tele since I am moving away from Floyd type guitars lately. I noticed my playing was heavily reliant on trem bars, and wanted to break the habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
          Pearly Gates would be an excellent choice to pair with the Custom Custom, IMO.
          That pickup has always interested me! Thank you

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the height of the JB relative to the strings?

Comment

I'd still put the CC in the bridge, and get an APH-1 for the neck. It will have the same EQ as the CC, without the high output, so you get better dynamics. Win/win.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd put CC in the bridge, A2P, Seth or Jazz in the neck, or if you're feeling hearty, a 59n/A4, depending on the music you are targeting.

Comment

Try an A8 magnet in the JB before tossing it and adjust the pickup height. I'm playing through a 40CR as well and have the treble set around 0.75-1. Also, speakers can make a huge difference in the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I'd still put the CC in the bridge, and get an APH-1 for the neck. It will have the same EQ as the CC, without the high output, so you get better dynamics. Win/win.
                    Going to do that tomorrow! I also have a set of Graphtech String Saver saddles I may try in this bridge. I had them in a Strat, but took them out as it deadened the strings. They might do the trick in this Ibanez? It is very bright!

We shall see! Thanks everyone

Comment

See- I love the String Saver Saddles, too!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got a Graphtech Resomax MV2 - in fact an abr with graphtech saddles - and love them. A much fuller sound without piercing highs.
                        Last edited by hamerfan; 07-16-2021, 06:29 AM.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Agreed and great choice on the Graphtech saddles! They are on all five of my electric guitars. No ice pick in the ear here.

Comment

Working...
                          X