Swamp Ash Superstrat -- bridge pickup suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swamp Ash Superstrat -- bridge pickup suggestions

So I built a nice Superstrat, body is swamp ash, neck is maple with a rosewood board. I have a JB in there now along with the Classic Stacks in the neck and middle. The JB is solid, I LOVE the split tone, but it's simultaneously a little harsh and a little weak sounding in this particular guitar. My Les Paul with a Super Distortion in the bridge just mauls it in terms of output and thick tone.

I know a swamp ash Superstrat with a Floyd isn't going to sound like that LP, but I'm hoping for suggestions for a bridge pickup that might do a better job of thickening up the tone, adding some punch, rounding off the high end and still split well. That last part is important -- this guitar is used about half the time as a normal Strat. It's only certain songs that get the humbucker flipped to both coils.

Thanks in advance. I'll hang up and listen.

The JB is already wound pretty hot, you might want to install a double thick A2 in it. That will fatten it up and round it out.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

PATB-1 or PATB-3, depending on needed output and styles played.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Technically, double-thick A2 isn't going to match the output of the stock A5 and the PATB-1/3 will also be lower in output (slightly) than the JB, though the PATB series were designed to tame bright/thin sounding guitars.

I say look at the Alt 8 or Invader from Duncan. Both are hot, warm pickups that split well.

If you go DiMarzio, you have a LOT more options...AT-1, Transition, Tone Zone, Gravity Storm, Dreamcatcher, Satchur8 etc. Hot, warm, and thick is sort of their specialty.

Did you know you can order the Nita Strauss "Pandemonium" directly from the DiMarzio at a normal price without the machined cover they originally came with? If you know you like the Super D and want to really take this Strat to the next level, you should have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          Technically, double-thick A2 isn't going to match the output of the stock A5.
          I don't think so.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

I don't think so.
            Well, I guess that settles it. You must be right....

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
              You must be right.
              I thought so. The bridge is competing with classic stax, he doesn't need more output, he just needs it filled out and fattened up. Double thick A2 will bump up the output compared to single thickness A5 in any case.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

I thought so. The bridge is competing with classic stax, he doesn't need more output, he just needs it filled out and fattened up. Double thick A2 is hotter than a regular thickness A5 tho.
                I'm not saying you're wrong about the magnet thing...magnet size definitely affects strength. You might be right, just haven't seen any numbers to back this up...I would think them fairly comparable, but I may be wrong

Comment

To my ear, double thick A2 is hotter than anything except for A8 or ceramic, but feel free to go measure it. The JB isn't at risk of being undergunned compared to the vintage singles lol. He just needs it fattened up and filled out. Plus he's already getting a good split tone, the mod pickups will make it worse.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

The JB is definitely one of the best pickups you can split, so making it work would be an ideal solution IMO

Comment

Custom custom?

It's overwound 14k A2 based. If the JB split tone suits your fancy I am sure the CC would too. The CC should have more mids to help round off the treble.

As you know the JB is overwound 16k A5.
                      Last edited by esandes; 07-16-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

In my swamp ash HSS strat, I have Classic Stacks and a 59/Custom Hybrid. They blend really well, and the Hybrid has a great split tone, too. No harshness at all.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks to all. My intuition with this guitar is it needs hotter, less bright pickups. Mincer, does the 59/Custom have a lot of top end or is it pretty balanced? I'm leaning toward something in the Custom lineup, probably a Custom Custom, at this point. I have an A2 magnet I might try in the JB before I do, but I too worry it's going to drop output more than I want. JBs have always sounded a lot less hot to me than the specs indicate, and this one is no exception. It's just like it lacks punch. I raised it up and raised the pole pieces to get some more snarl out of it and I'll report back if that helps (I can't try it into a real amp until the wife and kids wake up). Failing that I might swap the A2 in and see what happens.

It isn't that it sounds bad. It's just that by comparison the Super Distortion in one Les Paul and the Custom Shop Pearly Gates in the other are less strident and more punchy. Part of that is probably the guitar, but I feel like I can get closer to what I want with this one too. Given that the Pearly Gates is a bright pickup and isn't very hot, I think this is just an issue with the JB not liking the Swamp Ash Strat bridge position as a resting spot. The JB I had in the other LP sounded great, though the Super D did kick it out once I got it.

Comment

The Hybrid's EQ is like a PAF...less mids and even treble and bass. The Custom Custom is the opposite. But what I love about the CC is how it can change with a magnet swap. The CC is more compressed-feeling. Both sound good clean and with gain, and both sound good split.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              The Hybrid's EQ is like a PAF...less mids and even treble and bass. The Custom Custom is the opposite. But what I love about the CC is how it can change with a magnet swap. The CC is more compressed-feeling. Both sound good clean and with gain, and both sound good split.
                              The Custom Custom sounds more like what I'm after. I think, in order, I will 1) try out the JB as I have altered it (pole pieces and height), 2) try the CC, and 3) failing those, try the Tone Zone (thanks @Masta C).

Comment

Working...
                              X