The super rare - OEM Gibson BRIDGE nickel covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The super rare - OEM Gibson BRIDGE nickel covers

I decided to finally cover my WLHs. I ordered a set of covers from MF. The neck cover showed up in a week the bridge has been back-ordered for 4 months. I finally got frustrated and started shopping for the covers. Sweetwater and everyone else had them back-ordered. I found aftermarket chrome covers but chrome is a no-go for me.

The Gibson.com site even has only the BRIDGE back-ordered. I found one bridge cover on a little music store in Upper State NY's website. They sent me back an email saying they were back-ordered and I would see my order in Oct. I canceled that order and finally found a Mom and Pop that claimed to have them in Washington State. I called and asked them to confirm they had them and that they were Gibson OEM. The kid was nice enough to walk over and pull them off the shelf. Well, it has been four months but I just got the shipping confirmation.

Seeing guitars are sometimes single humbucker or HSS it makes sense that the bridge covers are in more demand. But when Gibson does not have them it makes you scratch your head.

Gibson is as Gibson does...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It is strange to see them run out/low on a component that goes in almost every Gibson guitar. It will be interesting if there are a lot of Gibson models without covers next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        It is strange to see them run out/low on a component that goes in almost every Gibson guitar. I
        Doesn't this kind of answer why?

Comment

You'd think they would stock some.
          But given Gibson's reputation for chea... um, frugality, they might have ordered just enough to cover current production.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

What makes the bridge cover different from the neck? Is it the polepiece spacing? Is your WLH a trembucker?

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
              What makes the bridge cover different from the neck? Is it the polepiece spacing? Is your WLH a trembucker?
              Yes, it is the pole spacing. My WLH is a standard LP bridge spacing. Nothing special you would think this would be an easy part to order.

EDIT: I was so wrong here.
              Last edited by Securb; 07-30-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                You'd think they would stock some.
                But given Gibson's reputation for chea... um, frugality, they might have ordered just enough to cover current production.
                I am sure they have a stockpile internally. I am wondering if they put aside enough to sustain themselves. If they have an internal shortage I can see the covers going on the historic and high-end models first. Flying Vs, Explorers, and most SGs are rock and roll animals and are aesthetically fine without covers. All bets say most of the Epiphones will ship without covers.

Comment

If it's standard spacing WLH, wouldn't you need a Gibson neck cover anyway?

Comment

I admire your dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      If it's standard spacing WLH, wouldn't you need a Gibson neck cover anyway?
                      They sent the neck, I am waiting on the bridge

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

They sent the neck, I am waiting on the bridge
                        What I meant was, standard spacing on a Duncan (bridge or neck) is the original 49mm hum spacing of the 1950's, which I thought was the current neck spacing on a Gibson (49.2mm). If you get a current Gibson bridge cover, I would expect it to be slightly larger 52mm and misaligned on a standard spacing Duncan, no?

Comment

My local shop had one on the shelf. I scored a George L patch cord.

Comment

What I meant was, standard spacing on a Duncan (bridge or neck) is the original 49mm hum spacing of the 1950's, which I thought was the current neck spacing on a Gibson (49.2mm). If you get a current Gibson bridge cover, I would expect it to be slightly larger 52mm and misaligned on a standard spacing Duncan, no?
                            Wasn't thinking, just ordered a Gibson OEM neck and bridge. I will see how things line up when it gets here.

Comment

Yep, you are right the bridge is too big. I have a chrome cover neck cover sitting around and it fits perfectly. Just ordered a nickel neck cover this saga will be very soon hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X