banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Med/High output pickup with relaxed low mids, chord clarity and some grit- Reccs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Med/High output pickup with relaxed low mids, chord clarity and some grit- Reccs?

Hey all-

I have a baritone Agile LP style guitar. It currently has the Custom Hybrid in it, which is a good sounding setup. However, there are a couple reasons I may want to change.

The guitar is quite warm sounding, Big mahogany body (maple neck) and the pickup is mounted further from the bridge than normal which imparts a really 'deep voiced' type of vocality to the sound if that makes sense. Lol.

*I need something balaced, maybe a little relaxed in the low mids, not too sterile but where 3 and 4 string chords will come through. I play progressive death metal and just feel like the alnico magnet of the current pickup is softening the attack a bit too much. If I could keep the Custom hybrid but just scoop out some low mid I think it'd be perfect.

Let me know what you guys think-

There's certainly the option of mag-swapping your 59/Custom to a Ceramic magnet, which will brighten it up a bit and give it a little more output.

Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend the Omega or Full Shred models for added clarity and less girth in the low-mids.

Comment

Full Shred gets my vote.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Either something generally shifted brighter or something with a typical ceramic attack would do it. The full shred has a lean yet mean edge to it for a hot alnico 5 humbucker. I agree that a switch to ceramic in your hybrid should bring out more of what you want. Swapping the fillister screws for hexes is a good way to get that low midrange tamed. Pole piece and magnet swapping is the cheapest of the options.

Comment

My vote is the Full Shred or the Jazz bridge. Both have crazy articulation, and won't have that congested feeling you are experiencing. If you need more power, I'd say the Dimebucker can do it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm with the Full Shred crowd. I'm not into the articulation it provides because, well, my playing is not articulate. But it may totally do the job for you.

relaxed low mids, chord clarity and some grit
            If there were a pickup called "The Dad Jeans" that would be my official call! LOL

Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'll be 'that guy' just to offer an alternate. Black Winter. Very even in mahogany, IME. Almost sounds like an active, but has better response and articulation, not compressed or one-trick pony.

Comment

The Jason Becker would probably work fine
                Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Nobody's talking about the Screamin' Demon?
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I love the Black Winter, but it's got heft in the low-mids and is very high output, which is why I didn't suggest it.

The Screamin' Demon is also one of my personal faves historically, but it has a noticeable scoop to it (big bottom with sparkling top end that can get thin in some guitars), likely more scoop than the OP would want.

The Full Shred and Omega are very clear and articulate pickups, both on the hotter side, but not quite "Distortion" class like the BW, and offer nice mid-to-upper-mid presence with a refined low-end response

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      I love the Black Winter, but it's got heft in the low-mids and is very high output, which is why I didn't suggest it.

The Screamin' Demon is also one of my personal faves historically, but it has a noticeable scoop to it (big bottom with sparkling top end that can get thin in some guitars), likely more scoop than the OP would want.

The Full Shred and Omega are very clear and articulate pickups, both on the hotter side, but not quite "Distortion" class like the BW, and offer nice mid-to-upper-mid presence with a refined low-end response
                      I've always used the Demon in short scale, mahogany guitars or in semi-hollow bodies to clean up low mid flub and to tighten things up all around. I guess I never thought of it as scooped because of the guitars I've been using it in.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I really dig the gritty high end of the Custom hybrid and its harmonic complexity.

The Omega puts me off because its almost too 'refined' and smooth for this guitar. Too controlled and sterile. What I'm looking for is for a thunderous roar type of tone. Lol.

If I'm not mistaken the full shred is similar to the omega?

Any non duncan susggestions btw?

Also, how would the Distortion do? I know its the normie option but maybe it could have the gritty treble, low mid scoop and clarity? I've never played it so I wouldn't know.
                        Last edited by ekulggats; 08-13-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I think you'd like the BW more than the Distortion. The BW is basically a crisper, tighter Distortion, and it would probably suit you best out of those 2 options.

The Full Shred and Omega are quite different from each other. The Omega is brighter and more articulate under gain. The Full Shred is still very articulate, but slightly less "modern" and will have more of that "roar" you're after, so it would be my top choice for you.

That said, I think you should seriously consider mag-swapping your current pickup to a Ceramic. Low-cost, easy to do, and might be just what you're after!

Comment

My impression of the black winter is that it's so stringey/slicey in the highs that it sounds congested in a weird way. Like there's so much articulation that you can't hear whats harmonically going on. But then again, that was installed in an ash guitar. But I've watched demos and I'm not sure that much clangy/stringiness is for me.

I know it is blasphemy, but what options from maybe dimarzio, bkp or otherwise would you guys be acquainted?

Will check out the Screamin demon and Full shred.

Comment

yes demon is a great recommendation!
                              if your guitar is warm and fat on it’s own, there is a high probability this pickup will sound marvelous.
                              the custom wind based pickups (like the full shred is) are less open than your hybrid. the demon is not compressed and i’d say the roar is there.
                              gritty high end also checks out.

another duncan pickup that might work is the SH-6n/SH-7. the distortion neck in the bridge!
                              Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-13-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X