JB, Dist, or Alt8 - Schecter PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB, Dist, or Alt8 - Schecter PT

I recently acquired a Schecter PT (alder/maple bolt on) and it is friggin awesome. I'm loving the guitar. The stock pickups were decent, but I like to tinker and I want something different, so I'm looking for some advice on what to swap in there.

I currently have a set of Super Distortions in it and they're a bit mushy in the highs. "Warm, round" etc are how people describe them, but I find them too soft and mushy on the highs. I want something that really cuts.

I've read great things about the Alt 8 but I've read people use the same terms to describe it as they do a Super Distortion, so that makes me hesitant.

I plan on putting a Jazz in the neck (guitar coil splits btw) and want to pair it with one of the three mentioned in the title. Any advice/opinions?

Can't go wrong with any of those, but a JB is a classic sound that no one would describe as 'mushy in the highs' at all. It sounds perfect with a Jazz, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IME the Full Shred, Screamin' Demon or a Custom are more cutting in the highs and would still work with a Jazz neck.

Comment

Big Alt 8 fan here in the right guitar. Find them very musical aggressive but not harsh very articulate and tight. Very versatile also with the right amp and neck pickup. This is an Alt 8 Sentient set in my old solid KOA Carvin DC 127 through my little tiny Mesa Subway Rocket combo miced.

Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm not a JB fan (at all), but I really love the Demon or Alt8. The Dist is also a great pup for what you want.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Big Alt 8 fan here in the right guitar. Find them very musical aggressive but not harsh very articulate and tight. Very versatile also with the right amp and neck pickup. This is an Alt 8 Sentient set in my old solid KOA Carvin DC 127 through my little tiny Mesa Subway Rocket combo miced.
            So, is that like the church after party or is this a regular thing? Costumes, flags, ribbon twirlers, people spinning in the aisles, backlit stage, drummer in a box because he was a bad boy...seems like quite a production!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

So, is that like the church after party or is this a regular thing? Costumes, flags, ribbon twirlers, people spinning in the aisles, backlit stage, drummer in a box because he was a bad boy...seems like quite a production!
              I caught a wild drummer once and put him in a terrarium like that . . . let's just say that it's very important to remember to feed and water them EVERY DAY.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Depends on the music style to some degree. I'd be inclined to say JB on this one for it's sharper more cutting upper midrange.
                Some find the lows too mushy on JB, but IMO that's only true if you want the fast tight lows needed for more technical metal styles.
                Alder bodies usually mix very well with both the lows and highs of a JB.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Depends on the music style to some degree. I'd be inclined to say JB on this one for it's sharper more cutting upper midrange.
                  Some find the lows too mushy on JB, but IMO that's only true if you want the fast tight lows needed for more technical metal styles.
                  Alder bodies usually mix very well with both the lows and highs of a JB.
                  You can get tight enough lows with a JB for fast tight metal. You might just have to do the unthinkable and turn the bass on the amp down a bit. And don't crank the pickup up right next to the strings like I've seen quite a few people do.
                  The Alt 8 also doesn't like to be too close to the strings. You have to take a little time to find the sweet spot.
                  I suppose that that's the same for the Distortion.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm definitely not a metal guy and I think the JB is a tad bit loose in the lows. I much prefer the Demon, and if you want something really tight and aggressive, try the Full Shred.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah, the JB isn't nearly as tight in the lows as modern metal pickups. But 80s hard rock didn't require that.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The JB will always cut and, with an Alnico 8 magnet, is tighter. I found both JB and Custom with A8 magnets not only maintain their character, but also sound great for metal through a tubescreamer into an overdriven amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                          I'm definitely not a metal guy and I think the JB is a tad bit loose in the lows. I much prefer the Demon, and if you want something really tight and aggressive, try the Full Shred.
                          This is what I noticed about the JB when i bought my first one in 2001. Loud lows, but not the type of bass that made root6 powerchords rumble and crunch like i wanted. Good pickups for solos, but it didnt feel right for rhythm.
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                          X